John James Jacoby (@johnjamesjacoby)

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 replies - 2,001 through 2,025 (of 2,365 total)
  • @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Wow that’s awesome. Great work!

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    All for doing the weekly chats again. The rest of the little .org type stuff will come along soon too.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Thanks! More to look forward to too. :)

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    The recent WordPress security upgrade (regarding kses) wasn’t 4 hours from initial contact to release, but you’re right to say that having more eyes and developers did help to expedite the testing.

    Needless to say I wasn’t personally accessible to work on this until I was back from holiday, so it is me dropping that ball and not being prepared. I’ll take that responsibility even if no one expects me to. :)

    Honestly, the reminders get a little repetitive, but only because I get them from a few different places. Open source development is kinda like having 1,000 bosses, but I’m used to it and take pride in having people be worried about the state of things.

    I’ve got pretty thick skin and don’t take things personally. So, no worries. :)

    Another personal hurdle was learning exactly what the procedure is to actually push out a release of bbPress. Having never needed to do it yet, and having the only person who has in the past few years (Sam) not immediately at my disposal, it took a few days to get me setup and ready to be able to do it.

    The trunk and 1.0 branches are fixed. The 1.0 branch is ready for a release. I am going to do the 0.9 branch tonight, do some testing, make my first deployments, and look forward to things hopefully going smoothly for releases tomorrow or this weekend.

    I’m not new to bbPress, but I am new to the logistics. Don’t fret, I’m a fast learner. :)

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    The recent WordPress security upgrade (regarding kses) wasn’t 4 hours from initial contact to release, but you’re right to say that having more eyes and developers did help to expedite the testing.

    Needless to say I wasn’t personally accessible to work on this until I was back from holiday, so it is me dropping that ball and not being prepared. I’ll take that responsibility even if no one expects me to. :)

    Honestly, the reminders get a little repetitive, but only because I get them from a few different places. Open source development is kinda like having 1,000 bosses, but I’m used to it and take pride in having people be worried about the state of things.

    I’ve got pretty thick skin and don’t take things personally. So, no worries. :)

    Another personal hurdle was learning exactly what the procedure is to actually push out a release of bbPress. Having never needed to do it yet, and having the only person who has in the past few years (Sam) not immediately at my disposal, it took a few days to get me setup and ready to be able to do it.

    The trunk and 1.0 branches are fixed. The 1.0 branch is ready for a release. I am going to do the 0.9 branch tonight, do some testing, make my first deployments, and look forward to things hopefully going smoothly for releases tomorrow or this weekend.

    I’m not new to bbPress, but I am new to the logistics. Don’t fret, I’m a fast learner. :)

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    The trunk is technically 1.1, so both the 1.0 branch and 0.9 branches also need fixes, which means they both need testing. There is also another critical bug that’s cropped up that I’m working on currently, to get them both in under the same security releases.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    The trunk is technically 1.1, so both the 1.0 branch and 0.9 branches also need fixes, which means they both need testing. There is also another critical bug that’s cropped up that I’m working on currently, to get them both in under the same security releases.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    I’m in a tough spot with regards to internet access until I’m home from holiday on Jan 3; home or not, getting updated versions of 0.9.x and 1.0.x out asap is my top priority.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    I’m in a tough spot with regards to internet access until I’m home from holiday on Jan 3; home or not, getting updated versions of 0.9.x and 1.0.x out asap is my top priority.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    The bbPress plugin will use the existing WordPress user account, with nothing extra needed.

    BuddyPress integration will be extremely easy, although BuddyPress will need a few small changes to help it along. :)

    In reply to: HIde Sub-forums

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Hi ONEWAY. You might have better luck asking this question over at buddypress.org.

    As a brief hint, if you want to pick which forum your ‘groups’ forums are under, you need to set that with a code change in a file called ‘bp-custom.php’. This is considered advanced usage so you’ll want to snoop around the BuddyPress code for the constant that defines the forum_id where they go.

    In reply to: HIde Sub-forums

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Hi ONEWAY. You might have better luck asking this question over at buddypress.org.

    As a brief hint, if you want to pick which forum your ‘groups’ forums are under, you need to set that with a code change in a file called ‘bp-custom.php’. This is considered advanced usage so you’ll want to snoop around the BuddyPress code for the constant that defines the forum_id where they go.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Changed to resolved and closing since this issue is fixed.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Changed to resolved and closing since this issue is fixed.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    This is fixed in the bbPress trunk. Give it a go and be sure to report back any more issues. :)

    Thanks for bringing this up!

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    This is fixed in the bbPress trunk. Give it a go and be sure to report back any more issues. :)

    Thanks for bringing this up!

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    In this topic is fine. Would rather have more eyes on this than less.

    The solution involved the shuffling of things around, as well as this specific addition: https://trac.bbpress.org/browser/trunk/bb-login.php#L51

    Basically if the esc’ed $re is now empty, fall back to the installation root. At first this seemed like a silly solution, but because the login always attempts to smart redirect, there isn’t a circumstance where it would naturally be empty. By moving the esc’s up and letting them filter out the baddies, it’s possible to end up with an empty $re.

    Tested with ampersands and question marks and it appears to work fine. I’ll try more esoteric URL combinations and see if it breaks.

    I indented that code because of the repeated empty( $re ) checks. I had a hard time keeping track of how many times it needed to repeat the same check and bumped them in for clarity. Not a common formatting technique but helpful to me at the time.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    In this topic is fine. Would rather have more eyes on this than less.

    The solution involved the shuffling of things around, as well as this specific addition: https://trac.bbpress.org/browser/trunk/bb-login.php#L51

    Basically if the esc’ed $re is now empty, fall back to the installation root. At first this seemed like a silly solution, but because the login always attempts to smart redirect, there isn’t a circumstance where it would naturally be empty. By moving the esc’s up and letting them filter out the baddies, it’s possible to end up with an empty $re.

    Tested with ampersands and question marks and it appears to work fine. I’ll try more esoteric URL combinations and see if it breaks.

    I indented that code because of the repeated empty( $re ) checks. I had a hard time keeping track of how many times it needed to repeat the same check and bumped them in for clarity. Not a common formatting technique but helpful to me at the time.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Do me a favor and create a trac ticket over at http://trac.bbpress.org. Use your same bbPress.org login/password. I’ll be sure to check this out.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Do me a favor and create a trac ticket over at http://trac.bbpress.org. Use your same bbPress.org login/password. I’ll be sure to check this out.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Another oldie but goodie bumped.

    Locked.

    In reply to: Ultimate BBpress Guide

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    No reason to bring this back from 4 years ago.

    Locked.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Lots of topics back from the dead lately.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Happy holidays to you too. :)

    I am confident this potential exploit is now fixed, so if anyone wants to put some eyes on the bb-login.php from trunk would be helpful.

    @johnjamesjacoby

    Keymaster

    Happy holidays to you too. :)

    I am confident this potential exploit is now fixed, so if anyone wants to put some eyes on the bb-login.php from trunk would be helpful.

Viewing 25 replies - 2,001 through 2,025 (of 2,365 total)