Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Plugin Request: Forum Categories..

• Was wondering if someone wouldn’t mind making up a plugin for Forum Catagory (blocks)..? Like phpBB has..

Example:

General (forum cat block 1) >

–Latest news (forum under general cat)

–General Discussions (forum under general cat)

–Site Feedback (forum under general cat)

Website Design (forum cat block 2) >

–HTML Basics (forum under website design cat)

–PHP Coding (forum under website design cat)

–CSS (forum under website design cat)

Is anyone up for doing this maybe? I think it would be nice to have this option though, rather then having ALL the forums listed under ONE Section only.. :) ;)

spencerp

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

• bbolman
    Participant

@bbolman

Definitely a good idea

Well, I’ve already been working on the layout, going by phpBB’s layout in general.. http://vindictivebastard.net/images/forumlayout.jpg

I’m just in need of some PHP professionals, to maybe make up a plugin, or a way to hard code the front-page.php file. To assign each specific forum, to the category..?

I was thinking of, maybe some how skipping the “loop” for the current forum “database calls”.. and just hard code it into the front-page, by calling in the forum’s [id’s].. bare in mind, I’m no PHP Pro here.. lol

Anyone think something like that will work, or..?

spencerp

/And yes, my english grammar sucks too! Whee~

So, anyone with any ideas on this? Just was wondering..

spencerp

Ok if my PHP/MySQL knowledge is still good , the plugin must , on the first use , add a new collumn to bb_topics table ( named for example cat_id ) , and a new table titled bb_cats .

On each use of the plugin , it must check if everything is good ( the collumn cat_id , the table bb_cats ) before continuing , and if not , it must display the default structure of the forum .

To perform this last , there must be new template tags which can be ignored if the plugin installation is wrong , so the plugin needs its proper template file …

We know that the goal of BBPress is to be light and fast , so if you code all the things above and use them on a plugin , BBPress will be slower , i think like PunBB …

So my tip is ; don’t use categories , try to remove no useful forums , merge some forums if they are similar , and you’ill have a good order without categories .

Oh yeah, I agree totally about how it could “slow down” a forum. ;) I’m not worried about that really, I’m specifically asking if/for this to be possible with bbPress, so I don’t have to use those *other* forum softwares though.. =P

I guess I’ll have to wait on what Josh comes up with, I think he’s planning on doing something about this then.. whee!

spencerp

Hehe, it was a pice of cake. :)

http://www.crazy-media.com/bbpress/

AND it is easy to add the extra “step” to ” Website Design > HTML Basics > Whats wrong with my site” to the top-links if you like and it’s easy to group the result on the frontpage if you like.

(“General (forum cat block 1) >

–Latest news (forum under general cat)

–General Discussions (forum under general cat)

–Site Feedback (forum under general cat)”)

Well I think it feels “to much” so I made a new row in the table insted of giving every caregory its own line but its an easy to fix. Well, I didnt found any easy way to add a “middle-forum”, like it is in phpBB. If you clock on a categori you see all avalible forums.

Well, well. My point with this post, if you would like i can post the code and changes. But I warn you, my “hack” isnt realy nice, it demands changes in the db, in the corefiles and ofcause template. And worst of all, it uses crapy if-else and no fancy “all data in the db and one function for each job”-stuff. I’m a newbi so I’m using newbi sollutions.

Thanks pontus. ;) :) I might try this then. However, I’m not one for core edits really, but I might give it a go, unless of course Josh comes up with something soon!? :P

*cough* I really would like to see this, maybe, implemented in the .80 version.. *cough* lol..

spencerp

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

One of these days I’ll do it… I’ve been super busy at work. Should slow down soon

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

I’m working on a patch (it’s basically finished actually) that addresses bug 520. If it is not accepted in the trunk (core code) then I might develop it into a plugin instead.

Awesome! Thanks a million SamBauers! ;) :)

spencerp

That is SWEET!! I’ve just implemented the last patch, running 0.8alpha.

Here’s my site for view: http://spencerp.net/forums/

Only thing I’m waiting on now, is the: /bb-admin/content-categories.php page itself.. I’m getting a blog 404 when going there, but of course, didn’t see that file included, so..

And also getting the 404, after clicking on the link:

http://spencerp.net/forums/category/0

But that’s to be expected right.. lol! =P

Anyway, hopefully this might push the “project” along a little quicker LoL!. ;) :)

spencerp

/By the way, I left the same comment on your ticket Sam..

Yeah, I know I’m a bit crazy for doing this, cause it’s set for bbPress milestone 1.0 hahaha. Oh well, I’m just impatient like that … lmao..

spencerp

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

spencerp, those issues you mentioned are fixed in the latest patch.

Awesome!! I’ll go ahead and apply those changes/ files then! YAY!!

spencerp

Hmm, while using Tortoise SVN to apply your added patch, it’s not allowing me to apply the changes to the three files in the bb-templates/ directory..

category.php

forum.php

topic.php

I even made a blank file called: category.php and it’s not doing anything with it. I guess I’ll just go through all the files again, and manually add the changes.. A looong morning ahead of me I guess sigh..

Well, wait, it’s applying to the rest though, so now I *only* have to edit those three mentioned above.. wheew!

spencerp

Alright, I’ve just uploaded it all, and even applied the new .htaccess rules, but I’m still getting a 404.. By the way, I still have to adjust the colors of the Category itself though!! ;) :)

http://spencerp.net/forums/category/1

Any thoughts?

spencerp

P.S. Trent, can you adjust my thread’s title please? My grammar mistake is bugging me lol! Catagories => Categories Thanks in advance!

Slaps self, hold on! I forgot to upload the root’s category.php file.. Duh spencerp!

spencerp

Works like a charm now!! WOOT WOOT!!

http://spencerp.net/forums/category/1

Now, I just gotta do some customizing of this, and I’ll be all set! Thanks a million Sam, and So1o for this!! :D

spencerp

Just to update everyone on this.. I’ve upgraded the forums to the very Latest SVN files for .80alpha, and the latest file changes for the Forum Categories enhancement by SamBauers.. :) ;)

http://spencerp.net/forums/

I plan to tweak some more things though, and also release the “Gathering” theme for bbPress then. It’s still on my To-Do list, and it will get done then folks! ;)

spencerp

I don’t believe your use of forum category is that of the original poster, he requested standard forum type categories, as illustrrated in the post,

i am surprised that any forum software would not include this level of thinking as is a standard,

has anyone achieved bbpress forum categories ?

There still appears to be no answer to this problem. I would very much like to use BBPress, but it will not be possible, until categories are included. I wish I was better at php.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

1.0-beta will have forum categories built in.

hey samba.. when will it be released ?

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Probably at the same time as WordPress 2.6

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar