Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WordPress integration! WHY NOT a DEFAULT?

• BBPress has nothing else going for it other than the fact that it’s from the WordPress folks.

1. Simplicity: Vanilla is top notch, and also has a plugin system.

2. Comprehensiveness: Invision boards or PHPBB etc.

So. Why is it that BBPress is not just a full plugin to WordPress and therefore totally integrated with WordPress? If this is already being discussed (as I hope it is!) then when is this planned?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

BBPress has nothing else going for it other than the fact that it’s from the WordPress folks.

Nah.

Plugins

bbPress hasn’t been created to be a gargantuan monster (such as PhpBB.)

So. Why is it that BBPress is not just a full plugin to WordPress and therefore totally integrated with WordPress? If this is already being discussed (as I hope it is!) then when is this planned?

There’s a nifty sticky on the very top of the page: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

BBPress has nothing else going for it other than the fact that it’s from the WordPress folks.

Nah.

Plugins

bbPress hasn’t been created to be a gargantuan monster (such as PhpBB.)

There’s a nifty sticky on the very top of the page: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates

1. That’s why I said “also”. Which means I recognize that BBPress has a plugin system. But Vanilla and other such options exist.

2. I do not want the bloat of PHPBB etc. That’s why I come to BBPress.

You’re missing my point. If BBPress cannot give me absolutely effortless WordPress integration, then there’s no reason for me to bother with this premature software. Vanilla does all I need, and does it better.

However, if you can make WordPress integration seamless, the default, and open to most plugins (such as spam protection or text editing boxes, etc) then you have a fan.

1. That’s why I said “also”. Which means I recognize that BBPress has a plugin system. But Vanilla and other such options exist.

2. I do not want the bloat of PHPBB etc. That’s why I come to BBPress.

You’re missing my point. If BBPress cannot give me absolutely effortless WordPress integration, then there’s no reason for me to bother with this premature software. Vanilla does all I need, and does it better.

However, if you can make WordPress integration seamless, the default, and open to most plugins (such as spam protection or text editing boxes, etc) then you have a fan.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

pkiula: That’s what we are working on. bbPress is now being made a WordPress plugin which would seamlessly integrate.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

pkiula: That’s what we are working on. bbPress is now being made a WordPress plugin which would seamlessly integrate.

This is awesome. Can’t wait! Thanks.

Another question. Some of us run websites with big user databases ourselves. Is there an easy way to integrate external databases with BBpress?

I mean, something like this:

1. User registers

2. Data is put in MYDB

3. Same data is also put into BBPress DB (need to know exact tables, and other info such as cookie hashes or SHA1/MD5 principles for password etc)

4. When user logs in, I set my cookies etc, but also BBPress cookies

5. User feels that he has logged into my website (based on my cookies) and also BBPress (based on BBP cookies)

Is this easy to do? Tried searching for some instructions, but couldn’t find anything.

Thx

This is awesome. Can’t wait! Thanks.

Another question. Some of us run websites with big user databases ourselves. Is there an easy way to integrate external databases with BBpress?

I mean, something like this:

1. User registers

2. Data is put in MYDB

3. Same data is also put into BBPress DB (need to know exact tables, and other info such as cookie hashes or SHA1/MD5 principles for password etc)

4. When user logs in, I set my cookies etc, but also BBPress cookies

5. User feels that he has logged into my website (based on my cookies) and also BBPress (based on BBP cookies)

Is this easy to do? Tried searching for some instructions, but couldn’t find anything.

Thx

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

pkiula: You would need to write a plugin on your own for that. Just check the code related to that, and find & use the hooks nearby. ;)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

pkiula: You would need to write a plugin on your own for that. Just check the code related to that, and find & use the hooks nearby. ;)

Yes, bbPress is now being made a WordPress plugin

Yes, bbPress is now being made a WordPress plugin

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar