Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WordPress cookie secret key – why don’t I have one?

• I just went to add a bbpress forum to a site I upgraded from 2.3.3 to 2.5. On step 2 of the bbpress install, it requests a “cookie secret key” which is supposedly in my wp-config.

I don’t see a secret key there so what am I supposed to do?

“This value must match the value of the constant named “SECRET_KEY” in your WordPress wp-config.php file. This will replace the bbPress cookie secret key set in the first step.”

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • FYI – I tried creating a secret-key according to what I read which lets me finish the install of bbPress however when I try to log in to wordpress I can’t. In fact, I get a message saying that I don’t have permissions!

When I remove my invented secret key, I can login like normal…

my question is what happens to bbPress when I remove the key from wp-config?

I don’t have one either. And I am totally perplexed as to where you found documentation about creating one. My wp-config has no such animal and my bbpress install is blocked. I’m stopped until I get my mind around this one. HELP!

Scott

scott@scottnoon.com

You need to create the Secret Key in your WordPress config.

Read the WordPress Codex for more info.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Secret_key_for_salting_password

Ryan
    Participant

@ryannutt

When I added the key to wp-config it wouldn’t let me login into the wp admin either. What I had done was put the define() line at the end thinking that would work. I moved it up under the other define() line instead of the very end and the permissions problem went away.

You go here to get your “secret key” (there’s three of them. https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/

define(‘AUTH_KEY’, …

define(‘SECURE_AUTH_KEY’, …

define(‘LOGGED_IN_KEY’, …

you place these in your wordpress wp-config.php file where the empty one were.

Then you post the keys inside the secret key box in the bb press installation wizard.

Or if you missed that part and your putting it directly into your bb-config.php file

you replace: define(‘BB_SECRET_KEY’, …

and everything after in on that LINE.

with: your three secret keys.

and that should fix everything, …that is if you have all your other wordpress – bbpress integration stuff lined up correctly :)

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Note that WP 2.5 / bbPress 0.9 uses a SINGLE key

WP 2.6 / bbPress 1.0 uses THREE different keys

So how does one integrate the cookies?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Norvu – what versions of bbPress and WordPress are you using?

WordPress version 2.6.2 and bbPress version 0.9.0.2

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Norvu, those version are incompatible. You don’t integrate the cookies. If you want integrated logins, you need to use bbPress 0.9.* with WordPress 2.5 or bbPress Alpha with WordPress 2.6.

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/wordpress-and-bbpress-integration-101#post-17409

webdevelopment

@webdevelopment

i have wordpress 2.7 and im in the middle of the bbpress forum installation, however bbpress is asking for a secret key:

WordPress cookie secret key:

put your unique phrase here

This value must match the value of the constant named “SECRET_KEY” in your WordPress wp-config.php file. This will replace the bbPress cookie secret key set in the first step.

the problem is that since wordpress 2.6 there exists 3 secret keys for wordpress and bbpress is asking for just one and bbpress has the name of the variable wrong “SECRET_KEY”:

/define(‘AUTH_KEY’, ‘put your unique phrase here’);

/define(‘SECURE_AUTH_KEY’, ‘put your unique phrase here’);

/define(‘LOGGED_IN_KEY’, ‘put your unique phrase here’);

/define(‘NONCE_KEY’, ‘put your unique phrase here’);

what should i do? i calso cant find which version of bbpress i have, is there a different version that i need?

webdevelopment

@webdevelopment

so i guess i answered my own question… apparently you have to use the unstable “alpha” version of bbpress with the latest version of wordpress:

Download

tripplethrendo

@tripplethrendo

That really sucks.

tripplethrendo

@tripplethrendo

How long until a working Stable with this cookie setting correctified?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

i have wp 2.7 working fine with 1.0 alpha 6, as do some other users. i don’t remember doing anything special apart from manually pasting all the wordpress keys into the bbpress config file. the automatic config didn’t write anything to the files. it all worked fine once i did it manually.

Ok so I started the install of bbPress and ran into this same issue so I stopped at step 2. Now I know I need to install the 1.0 version, but since I’ve already configured the database( Part 1 of install ), does that mean I’ll have to erase/change/do something to the database besides just deleting the bbPress files and uploading the new version?

Also, I never put the secret keys in when I installed wordpress. Does that mean I’ll have to resintall to put the secret keys in, or can I simply change the config file and over-write the old one and everything will work that way?

Here’s the secret (only if you haven’t changed the login key settings):

Type: put your unique phrase here

You don’t need to do anything else!

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar