Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WordPress 2.7 and bbPress?

• I’m about this close to making my new forums live. I’ve got WP 2.6 and bbPress alpha tied in together pretty well, but they recently announced the lockdown on 2.7, which means that may come out by years end.

Has anyone started testing with 2.7 yet? I’m not asking if I should not go forward and get my forums started, just wanted to know what kettle of worms I was opening ;)

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• WarrenScott

@warrenscott

bbpress 0.9.0.4 and wordpress 2.7 intregrate but bbpress doesn’t hanlde the roles at all. If a user gegisters through wordpress, all is good but if they register through bbpress, they get an “you don’t have permission to view this page” when they try to login to wordpress.

I think this should be addressed asap, but as I’m ready through the forums, I see Sam or any other developer has addressed this issue at all. There are some .htaccess 301 redirects and a small code change you can make to redirect users from the bbpress registration page to the wordpress registration page, but in my humble opinion, one should not have to do this because the whole reason to use bbpress with wordpress was the fact that they intregrate.

Bottom line…bbpress needs to update the user roles to that of wordpress user roles period.

Hi Warren

I am working for WP + bbPress for my college website and I will create accounts in one go. There won’t be open registrations. I just need to have the functionality of using same login credentials at both place and logged in at both WP & bbPress at the same time. Students will need to login before they can comment on posts on WP. Can I achieve this with WP 2.7 and bbPress 0.9?

WP 2.7 and bbPress Alpha 6 works fine for me – no issues

Let me try and get back. < WP 2.7 + bbPress 0.9 >

I wasn’t able to get WP 2.7 + bbPress 0.9 in sync but when I tried WP 2.7 with bbPress alpha 6, I am able to get a sync but not fully.

Dividing this into 4 cases :

CASE I

Logged in from : WP

Reflected in other : Yes

Logged Out from : WP

Complaints : None so far

CASE II

Logged in from : bbP

Logged Out from : bbP

Complaints : None so far

CASE III

Logged in from : WP

Logged Out from : bbP

Reflected in other : No

Complaints : Unable to logout. Doesn’t reflect anywhere.

CASE IV

Logged in from : bbP

Logged Out from : WP

Reflected in other : No

Complaints : Unable to logout. Doesn’t reflect anywhere.

I guess the only problem is that logging out from other than where you logged in doesn’t logged you out.

Ah yes, I did have issues with logout as well. I did however combine it together with MediaWiki shared login so that’s pretty good for me so far..

i think i remember, that here in the forum are a lot of threads that says:

WP 2.7 + bbPress 0.xx = Nope!

WP < 2.7 +bbPress 0,xx = yes

and finally

WP 2.7 + bbpress 1.0 = yes

So, either you downgrade your WP or you use the alpha version of BBpress.

You shouldn’T get issues with login then…

Sumit1988 has it right.

yokima, how did you share login with MediaWiki and bbPress/Wordpress?

C Bog

@bogdancismariu

as far as i can see, by studying the code, wordpress has introduced a salt for hashing the passwords since 2.5

bbpress (my version is 0.9.0.4) has not updated it’s functions to include this salt.

the alpha release of bbpress 1.0 seems to take care of this problem, but the file structure, as far as i can see is completely different from the older versions, so a simple copy & paste wouldn’t do.

maybe the stable 1.0 release will take care of this issue, but since then (i don’t recommend using the alpha version on production web sites) i will try to modify the pluggable.php file of bbpress 0.9.0.4 in order to allow the usage of salts.

i’ll be back these days with further details.

i am running wp 2.7 and bbpress alpha 6 with no issues… not really sure how i did it, but i’ll help if i can…

C Bog

@bogdancismariu

i have spent some time now analyzing the code of bbpress and wordpress.

it seems to me that an update of the old bbpress code (version 0.9.0.4) is unfeasable, because sam already managed to succesfully integrate version 1.0 with wordpress 2.7.1

all you have to do in order to use bbpress alpha with the recent versions of wordpress is to follow the bbpress installation instructions and it will work out of the box.

there is still some work to be done. as far as i can tell, bbpress and wordpess use multiple cookies for multiple paths. the one they share is the one for the root path. so… if you login into wordpress, you won’t be logged in into bbpress admin section. this does not happen the other way arround.

it is not recomended though to use the alpha version in production sites. for now, it seems that a downgrade of wordpress would be the best solution.

ipstenu: it was this http://ciarang.com/posts/mediawiki-with-wordpress and some adjustments:

1. I installed wordpress on /blog and mediawiki on /wiki and bbpress on /talk

-> for this I added an absolute path with the line $WP_relpath=’/var/www/html/krcla/blog’; and set the cookies to point to the root folder

2. some others that I can’t remember at this point..

The result is that MediaWiki ends up being somewhat heavier than a plain mediawiki, but by redirecting both bbPress and MediaWiki logins to WordPress, I get a single WordPRess login action -> logged in WordPress, bbPress, and two MediaWikis!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar