Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Widget does not have URI to allow strangers to register

• gothweb
    Participant

@gothweb

So I installed bbPress 2.5.8 and I got some new widgets.

The bbPress Login Widget has three items:

Title

Register URI

Lost Password URI

all these three things are blank.

Title can be anything, but I don’t know the URI for “register” or “lost password” so strangers can’t sign up to my forum.

I was able to create forums, but my main admin account is the only account that can post to these forums.

Please tell me how I set up registration. I assume I just need to plug in one or two URIs, but I can’t find any explanation of how to do that.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• gothweb
    Participant

@gothweb

please include your WordPress version, bbPress version, and a link to your site.

Wordpress 4.2.2

bbPress 2.5.8

http://makers.beyondnp.com/open/?post_type=forum

gothweb
    Participant

@gothweb

post test:

I looked at:

Step by step guide to setting up a bbPress forum – Part 1

I tried to write an explanation of what I did, but flood detection seems to be deleting my posts.

Edit:

I tried to use:

If you do not permit anonymous posting, then your users will need to register with your site. It is up to you to decide which method is preferable.

Automatic registration is easier and it does allow people to quickly sign up, but by the same token gives you less control over who is contributing to your forums, and can lead to spam postings.

Manual signup involves you in more administration, but does give you complete control over who has write access.

Neither is better overall, but one will be better for you !

To allow automatic registration, go to Dashboard > Settings > General settings and under membership, tick “anyone can register”. Then in Dashboard > settings > forums tick the auto role, and ensure this is only at participant level.

To set manual registration, go to Dashboard > Settings > General settings and under membership, and ensure “anyone can register” is not ticked. Then in Dashboard>settings>forums tick the auto role, and ensure this is only at participant level.

In both cases, you will then need a screen for users to register – we’ll come back to where to put this screen later, but for the moment go into dashboard>pages>add new page and create a page. You can call this page anything you like but “register” or “registration” would be logical when users view or access its URL.

If you are doing automatic registration, then put whatever preamble you’d like (“to register for our forums” etc.) , and then add the following shortcode [bbp-register]. Save the page.

and I can register new users by the page at:

http://makers.beyondnp.com/open/?page_id=149

but I don’t know how to fix the widget. Maybe the URL of the registration page can be used as the URI.

Robkk

@robkk

Maybe the URL of the registration page can be used as the URI.

Yes use that page you created with the bbPress registration form shortcode. You can also use the default WordPress registration page which would be.

http://yoursite.com/open/wp-login.php?action=register

Same for the Lost Password page, you can use the page you placed the bbPress lost password shortcode or the default lost password form by WordPress.

gothweb
    Participant

@gothweb

Thank you, Robkk!

Robkk

@robkk

no problem

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar