Categories
Search
Bottom

User unable to post on forum

• BewitchingFiction
    Participant

@bewitchingfiction

Hi,

I am running WP 4.1.1 with Buddypress 2.2.1 and BBpress 2.5.6 my website can be found at http://www.bewitching-fiction.com with the forums underneath.

I initially set up my page with Twenty Thirteen and upgraded to the supported Firmasite – all items are up to date.

I have one single user who is unable to post anything at all; she registered on the forums and authenticated her profile within hours of the site going live and was unable to create any posts so this week I removed her and she then (working with me) recreated her profile and again attempted to post something on an existing forum. It turns out that no matter what she does she is unable to participate in any of the conversation threads already on the forum and, having checked her profile and settings, I am unable to see anything wrong with what is on there.

Advice as to why it is only happening with this one user would be great; as would anything that you can think of to get it working. I have already stripped it down to basics and then built the site back up again with her.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I have one single user who is unable to post anything at all

sorry, can you define what you mean by this eg she can’t login in or she doesn’t get the topic/reply form, or she can’t fill it in, or she can fill it in but it doesn’t send etc.

Also have you looked in the backend to see if the topics/replies are there?

BewitchingFiction
    Participant

@bewitchingfiction

The user is able to login, she has registered, her account/username has been authorised. She is able to write in the reply box with no issue but when she clicks on ‘submit’ she gets an error saying that she doesn’t have permission to post.

I have looked in the ‘pending’ but there is nothing there posted by her, which I didn’t expect as she has said she gets the error message when she attempts to post (though that said, occasionally posts by moderators and other users who have had no issues posting do appear there).

I have asked her what browser she uses – she initially used Safari but then switched to using Chrome.

Robin W

@robin-w

so you have other users who are able to login as well as you?

And have you tried logging in as her, to ensure it is a site issue?

BewitchingFiction
    Participant

@bewitchingfiction

I have a few regular users who have been able to log in and post without issue – I have just logged in as her and while I was able to submit the test post it didn’t appear on the site and it also didn’t appear in the spam for Akismet or in the pending comments on the replies thread. It’s most peculiar, especially as it’s only happening with this one user.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, suggest you try taking out askimet for bbpress :

you’ll find it in settings>forums with a tick box to take out.

Then post again as her – that will tell you if askimet is involved

BewitchingFiction
    Participant

@bewitchingfiction

I have switched off Akismet and now I see the following message when I attempt to post anything in her name:

ERROR: Your reply cannot be created at this time.

Robkk

@robkk

@bewitchingfiction

all i can think is maybe create a new user for her since its just her having the issue.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok that error indicates that you have something in your comment blacklist

can you look in dashboard>settings>discussion>blacklist

BewitchingFiction
    Participant

@bewitchingfiction

I have now created a new user for her three times, I have even given her a different username the last two times, and still I am unable to make it possible for her to post.

BewitchingFiction
    Participant

@bewitchingfiction

I have checked and the comment blacklist is absolutely empty, there is nothing in there, or in the comment moderation which contains the capability for 8 links to be added before an item is added to the mod list for approval.

Robin W

@robin-w

I have now created a new user for her three times, I have even given her a different username the last two times, and still I am unable to make it possible for her to post.

Ok so set up a new username for her, but you ace it first and ensure that you can post, then get her to try, an d come back with what happens.

Robkk

@robkk

@bewitchingfiction

make sure to go through the general issues.

Before Posting

Another thing I am thinking is maybe user capability plugins or spam/security plugins that might cause the issue.

BewitchingFiction
    Participant

@bewitchingfiction

Hi,

I have only one security plugin (ignoring Akismet which I currently have switched off) and that is on the user sign up page – this wasn’t there the first or second time her profile was created. I have stripped the site down to the most basic with just bbpress and buddypress running and built it back up again – first with her as a member and then with her not as a member, one that I created. I have removed her from the site and then added her and attempted to post as her – twice and neither time has anything changed, I can’t post as her and she can’t post as herself. The only thing that is the same about her profile each time it’s created is her email address – but I haven’t placed it on a block list/blacklist anywhere so I can’t understand why she is the only person experiencing this problem. It has reached the point for her where she is (understandably) giving up on the idea of becoming a member of the forums as I can’t seem to find any reason why she is the only person having these issues.

Robkk

@robkk

@bewitchingfiction

have you marked any of her posts/comments as spam before??

im just guessing to try to find an issue now , this issue is so mysterious

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar