Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

User-specified email updates

• demonboy
    Participant

@demonboy

How can I allow forum users to decide if they get updates? I’ve used the global Notify plugin but some of my forum users need to be able to turn on and off the notifications as they travel and are offline. I need some way of allowing them to switch notifications on and off.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

By default bbPress doesn’t force subscriptions on users so whatever plugin you are using you may need to contact them. If you need the default way of subscriptions to turn off and on based on certain things like being offline then that may be custom development. By default the users can just unsubscribe from notifications from topics or forums if they do not want to keep getting notified anymore.

demonboy
    Participant

@demonboy

Hi Rob. How does a user unsubscribe from a forum or all forums?

Robkk

@robkk

I explain how to here. Simply go to your forum profile and go to subscriptions and hit the red Xs.

Subscriptions

demonboy
    Participant

@demonboy

Not trying to be awkward but this doesn’t make sense to me, Rob. You say:

For the user to unsubscribe from any forums or topics, all they need to do is go to their Subscriptions section in their profile and under Subscribed Forums and Subscribed Topics they can click the red X to unsubscribe.

When I go into a user profile, under Subscriptions it says:

Subscribed Forums
    You are not currently subscribed to any forums.

Subscribed Topics
    You are not currently subscribed to any topics.

Unread Forum Topics
    Viewing 15 topics – 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The question is, how do you subscribe to a forum? There is no option here to subscribe to a forum.

You also say:

For a user to subscribe to a forum or topic, they need to click the link that will usually be at the top of the post that says Subscribe. Whenever they click the subscribe link, it will now show as Unsubscribe automatically with ajax for topics but refresh for forums.

The top of what post? What do you mean by post in this instance? Where am I supposed to be in order to see this? At my Forums root level? I don’t see any Subscribe option.

I imagine they will see an unsubscribe button in their subscriptions profile for each forum once they have subscribed to a forum, but my question is: how do you, as a user, subscribe to a forum in the first place?

Robkk

@robkk

You told me how to unsubscribe to a forum, so I presumed you already knew how and were already subscribed to a forum.

The page I linked you to is a page on your profile where you can manage your subscriptions (if you already have some), but you can also unsubscribe to forums by clicking the unsubscribe link near the breadcrumbs of the single forum.

By default there should be a link to subscribe to a single forum. The link should be near the breadcrumbs by default and should say Subscribe.

I used post because I thought people would know what I meant, and also so I did not need to repeat forum and topic again. What I meant is below, I guess.

For a user to subscribe to a forum or topic, they need to click the link that will usually be at the top of the post (forum or topic, whatever you are trying to subscribe to) that says Subscribe.

I also thought showing the images showing the blue (its not blue by default, its whatever link color is inherited from your theme) Subscribe link for a single forum and single topic would be clear as day for what I meant.

demonboy
    Participant

@demonboy

Hi Rob – thanks for the clarification. I think the problem is that my breadcrumbs are quite different. I’ve sorted it however, so I appreciate you taking the time out to help. Thank you.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar