Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Unwanted Anonymous Posts?

• citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

I maintain a website that has an install of bbPress 1.0.2. There haven’t really been any posts in about a year (just one or two updates from moderators).

Today I viewed the forum to see hundreds of Anonymous spam posts.

This confuses me, since I don’t have an Anonymous Posting plugin installed or enabled. Which makes me think somebody may have found a back door. I would like to close that door, but I have no idea where to start.

Thoughts?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Ask your webhost to provide you with access logs of your site, and see where those _POST requests came from. You can also try updating to 1.0.3 which is tagged in the repository but not available for download via .zip quite yet.

https://trac.bbpress.org/browser/tags/1.0.3/

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Ask your webhost to provide you with access logs of your site, and see where those _POST requests came from. You can also try updating to 1.0.3 which is tagged in the repository but not available for download via .zip quite yet.

https://trac.bbpress.org/browser/tags/1.0.3/

o_0

Yes, this is important to figure out. If there is a backdoor, world is again at risk. Lol, I have a weird mood right now :D

o_0

Yes, this is important to figure out. If there is a backdoor, world is again at risk. Lol, I have a weird mood right now :D

3leggedcat

@3leggedcat

CK

did you get any answers?

Same thing is happening with a forum I have.

There has to be a back door in, and it hasn’t been plugged yet

3leggedcat

@3leggedcat

CK

did you get any answers?

Same thing is happening with a forum I have.

There has to be a back door in, and it hasn’t been plugged yet

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

If you deleted spam accounts, their posts will be marked as anonymous.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

If you deleted spam accounts, their posts will be marked as anonymous.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

@3leggedcat I’ve been out of town, and haven’t had a chance to look into it yet. As I stated in my original post, there hasn’t been activity on that forum in a year, so for now I just took it offline. I’ll be looking into it when I get home.

@Ben L. These posts were made long after I have deleted an account. With a deleted account, they wouldn’t be able to log in a year later and post spam.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

@3leggedcat I’ve been out of town, and haven’t had a chance to look into it yet. As I stated in my original post, there hasn’t been activity on that forum in a year, so for now I just took it offline. I’ll be looking into it when I get home.

@Ben L. These posts were made long after I have deleted an account. With a deleted account, they wouldn’t be able to log in a year later and post spam.

3leggedcat

@3leggedcat

Ben

we deleted the accounts

but these posts came in after I deleted them

3leggedcat

@3leggedcat

Ben

we deleted the accounts

but these posts came in after I deleted them

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

I checked my access logs for that day, and couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary. Lots of registrations from the non-anonymous spammers, and lots of wp-cron.php for that domain. The forum is integrated with WP.

If anybody would like to have a look at the logs, let me know and I can send them your way. I’m not 100% sure what to look for.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

I checked my access logs for that day, and couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary. Lots of registrations from the non-anonymous spammers, and lots of wp-cron.php for that domain. The forum is integrated with WP.

If anybody would like to have a look at the logs, let me know and I can send them your way. I’m not 100% sure what to look for.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar