Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

This is why we can’t have nice things

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

For the past 10 hours, the BuddyPress.org and bbPress.org codex sites have been the target of an automated spam attack, creating hundreds of pages, posts, and additional taxonomy terms.

This happened only because of our own wishes for our documentation sites to be an active and thriving representation of everything related to the software, and not because of any bugs or glitches in WordPress or on BuddyPress.org or bbPress.org.

We were automatically granting users the “Editor” role, so you would be able to modify pages. This has worked really well for us since 2009, but only because we’ve gotten lucky enough for no one to take advantage of the open access; until today.

In the very near future, we’ll be officially putting together a “Codex Team” of trusted and prolific contributors to grant codex access to basically anyone that asks for it. @netweb, @robin-w, and @mercime have already been doing this job for a long while, and we’ll bring a few others into the mix too.

Sorry about having to restrict a few things. We had a good run there, but now it’s time to tighten things up a bit and ensure a safe and cooperative environment for everyone.

Admin access to the codex will be turned off for a few days while we put together some guidelines and reinvent the codex access code.

If you’re interested in helping out around the codex more, drop a note here and someone will make sure you’re taken care of shortly.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Harindu
    Participant

@harindu

🙂

Kolya Korobochkin
    Participant

@korobochkin

Damn spammers! Maybe you can set up editor role to users with high rating or registered long time ago? Actually is a big problem (spam) on my sites too. It would be great if some instruments with ratings will be available (like a additional plugin for buddypress or bbpress) 🙂

Hope you block all spammers! Good luck 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

Thats’s a real shame, but great that we’ll still be able to contribute. Robkk should aslo join, he helps a lot, and has been suggesting stuff to go in (which hopefully he is writing !)

Robkk

@robkk

@robin-w

i was just suggesting new guides at first but yeah im working on it.

Robin W

@robin-w

@robkk – Great 🙂 sorry if I made you feel obliged !

The bbPress Codex is back up and runninng for the users listed in @JJJ’s post abbove, a couple more tweaks are needed to fix a couple of outstanding issues.

@robkk
    I’ve added you as an Administrator, @robin-w you are also an Administrator now 🙂

If you have any questions please drop by the #bbPress Slack channel 🙂 https://chat.wordpress.org

RafaelDeJongh
    Participant

@rafaeldejongh

For the last couple of months I’m not able to post any new thread on this forum, why does this happen?

Robkk

@robkk

@rafaeldejongh

dont post that many links

you should probably post only 1 and the rest just remove the http://

cgharing
    Participant

@cgharing

I have to commend you guys, you have an excellent product.
    Don’t let a few Fools get you down, If they were truly smart they would
    help to make things better.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘This is why we can’t have nice things’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar