Categories
Search
Bottom

The Participant role is not editable

• cinsin
    Participant

@cinsin

Hello

My participants cannot view or reply to private topics. Administrators/keymasters seem to be able to.

I’ve installed bbPress version 2.5.14, and Members Version 2.0.2 plugins. When I look at the participant’s role it:

can read_private_forums
    cannot read_private_topics
    cannot read_private_replies

and I cannot edit this role: “The Participant role is not editable. This means that it is most likely added via another plugin for a special use or that you do not have permission to edit it.”

I tried deactivating plugins one by one to see if I could edit this role. I thought by default Participants could read and reply to private topics…

Thanks for any help

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• cinsin
    Participant

@cinsin

By the way, the topics are actually public, but as they’ve been created in private forums, I believe they are private.

cinsin
    Participant

@cinsin

Oh well, I’ll make everyone a Moderator for now.

Robin W

@robin-w

suspect it is related to your memebership plugin – see

Topics only visible to Administrators

cinsin
    Participant

@cinsin

I use Members plugin (by Justin Tadlock), and don’t have problems with Moderators viewing private topics, in fact I temporarily switched everyone to Moderator. This plugin doesn’t allow me to edit any of the bbpress roles, is this expected?

Robin W

@robin-w

Not directly – there are plugins that do that eg

bbPress Capabilities

cinsin
    Participant

@cinsin

thanks robin-w, I tried that plugin, changed a user back to Participant, the permissions listed for this user now indicated they can read_private_tocpic, but in effect they could not. I tried ” Remap existing users to default forum roles”, but no success.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok suspect it is the members plugin, suggest you contact their support site.

cinsin
    Participant

@cinsin

I did thank you. I found out that the one permission that is required to view private topics from bbPress Capabilities permissions, and which works on the Participant role is read_hidden_forums! the only pain is that is needs to be set on each user one by one, manageable for now.

Robin W

@robin-w

that’s not correct – there are capabilities for

read_private_forums
    read_hidden_forums

and you should only need the first

still think it is a plugin conflict, but if that fixes it for you then great

cinsin
    Participant

@cinsin

I’m glad you say that, at least it’s clear to me on how private and hidden should be used in theory, but it seems somewhere the plugins got mixed-up. bbPress Capabilities was last updated 4 years ago which means is probably not safe to use but fixes my problem, Members might or might not reply to my post, not really willing to pay for raising possible bugs, will let you know.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, thanks for the update !

cinsin
    Participant

@cinsin

Reply from Members plugin author:

bbPress roles are not editable and cannot be changed. They’re handled completely within bbPress. Members will only allow you to view uneditable roles and doesn’t itself change them.

Robin W

@robin-w

so they seem to be saying that their plugin won’t let you change it.

not sure I can help further without access, and that’s beyond free help

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar