Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

The BBpress Support Forums Do Not Work…

• cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

Hi guys, I think i should clear up my title. First off, the community of helpers and supporters here is great, and this is why I am pretty annoyed.

Ok, The BBpress.org support forums are pretty useless and let me explain why. The main problem with them, is if you are serious about setting up a forum that will become big/look professional, you would need professional help. It is nearly impossible to teach yourself/post questions here and get answers.

This is my other problem. Every day I seem to get about one problem with my site that I need being changed… I post it here, but most of the time I don’t even get an answer. I have about 6 open threads right now. Plus, if you have a big forum and need help quick, the support forums are way too slow to help you. At best, they are good for forums that are not yet live, or that are really small.

What I am trying to re-iderate is that sadly, these support forums are pretty much useless. Don’t get me wrong, starting a forum is no walk in the park, if it was, everyone would be doing it. I just really wanted to get the message out because it has been something that has been annoying me lately. It becomes pretty clear when you go back on old messages here that I would say just about every site has disappeared and the domain is for sale.

What am I suggesting as an alternative? Not sure, all I know is that I cannot do this myself and need outside help.

Ok thank you for listing,
    JB

On another note, I know a lot of the supporters here do coding on a side job. I have quiet a few things I need help with on my forum and if anyone has some time, I would love the help. Potentially we could talk via google chat or something live about what I need done in my forum.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

Ok, The BBpress.org support forums are pretty useless

this picture should sum up how i feel about your entire topic.

you disappoint me

and try to know the difference between a problem and an enhancement.

Forum search in menu is an enchanement.
    adding color coordinated user roles is an enhancement
    post rating only on certain subforums is an enhancement
    custom styled submit button is an enhancement

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying, I understand a lot of people will feel a bit of a backlash from the post, just because they have put a lot of time into the forums.

I wont debate the above with you, but, if BBpress provides support, then where does one go for enhancements?

Robkk

@robkk

enhancements should most likely go to freelancers , if its something somebody can find out in a less than ten minutes why not share it with the rest of the bbpress community.

if its something that might take time , then it will take time.

you dont always get your question answered in an hour of posting it might take more time.

so it is dumb to start complaining on how you dont get your questions answered lightning fast.

Robin W

@robin-w

@cybarmitzvah

You seem top be mistaking a product that is free, has cost you nothing and is supported by volunteers for a paid forum which will wrote bespoke code.

I don’t know what else in your life you get for free, that gives you lightening fast support for free by volunteers who have day jobs, that writes enhancements for you for free – perhaps you can give me an example of ANYTHING that does this for you???

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

Ok guys, once again this is not a complaint. This is what I have viewed over the course of my time using the support forum.

Let me clear some stuff up for everyone.

#1, no ones work here is bad.

Now, I intend for this to stay a factual discussion.

#1, I have never gotten my answers ever answered within an hour. Most are never answered. Once again, I am not saying I have a problem with the timeliness, I am saying that anyone who wants/has a big forum could never rely on the support forums.

#2, Sure, there are many things that I get for free. How about every other forum I am part of us. I get free info when I need help. Say its about fishing, or car trouble, or astronomy. Just about all of them have day jobs too. Seems about right.

Now, what I am saying is no one can really ever get a big website on their own. There comes a point, probably early on, where the support forums are not good enough to help them excel.

JB

Robkk

@robkk

yeah there is alot that goes into making a successful website.

it may not be making a good looking forum.

or even be creating a forum at all.

Like 4chan is an ugly looking forum , but it still has a ton of weird users.

That doesnt mean you can say the support forums are useless.

The bbpress.org support is doing there best to help everyone the best they can.

They are not suppose to hold your hand and tell you step by step on how to create a really successful website. I mean come on!!! Its all on them and their decisions on what to do with it.

And sometimes, people arent that great at making websites, sometimes its just a project at first then they realize its not really for them.

Sometimes they just cant get enough attention and users on it to create a successful website so they see they are wasting money on it they quit on it.

Robin W

@robin-w

@cybarmitzvah

Sorry you and I are on different planets – I duck out of this

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

I think we agree here. Non of what you said I do not agree with.

In regards to it being useless, once again I support what everyone does here, I am just saying in the long run, they do not do that well.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar