Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Tagging/mentioning another user

• cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I am not sure if I am not doing it right, but I am not sure how to get to tag someone with @someone correctly.

I might have more than one user with the same display name (currently, I have two Susan in one thread) and I would like to identify which one I am responding to. However, if I put @Susan, I have no clue which one will be tagged.

I am also using BuddyPress, so I am not sure if it is controlled by bbPress or BuddyPress (or even by WordPress for all I know).

Can someone point me to a way to tag/mention someone correctly when I respond?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

Hi @cassel,

The at sign is used with the user’s login name, not the display name. Logins are unique. Of course a user might have the same display and login name, but it’s the login that’s used in the mention. Notice that my display name is my full name, but you would mention me as mike80222.

I believe that BuddyPress handles notifying a user when they are mentioned, although I am also unsure about the exact boundaries between BuddyPress and bbPress responsibilities.

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

OK so, if the login name does not show under the user’s avatar, how do we know what it is? (speaking as someone who just wants to reply to someone in particular)

Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

I don’t know what to do if there’s no login name visible. Actually I thought there always was one (in forums running bbPress/BuddyPress). Can you click on the user in question and go to their profile?

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Yes, I guess I can do that, although it is less than convenient when trying to reply. I also seem to see what it is when hovering over the name, as the link to the profile appears at the very bottom. That could work, but really not obvious for the other members who might want to respond. I guess it will do for now.
    Thanks.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar