Categories
Search
Bottom

Subscriptions not working

• andyrushtonprogramming
    Participant

@andyrushtonprogramming

Hi,

as I understand it, when I subscribe to a forum, I should get an email every time a new topic is created. I also understand that I should see a Subscriptions menu item in the Admin menu.

I’mnot getting either of these – when a user creates a topic in a forum I’m subscribed to, I don’t get a notification. I don’t have a Subscriptions menu either.

I have the latest version (2.5.8) installed. I have tried stripping down my website so that it uses a standard theme (TwentyFifteen) and one plugin (bbPress) although I haven’t tried a clean install yet.

Can anyone suggest where to go with this. I really cannot afford to do a clean install – this is a huge website I’m managing!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• andyrushtonprogramming
    Participant

@andyrushtonprogramming

Follow up:

I tried a completely clean install with WP v4.3 and bbPress v2.5.8-5815 and I’m still not seeing the Subscriptions menu item. I’m not sure about notifications because my localhost setup tends to lose emails anyway, but I’m certainly not getting them from the installed website.

Hi Andy,
    For the ‘subscriptions menu’ item I cannot help you I’m afraid.

For the emails I have had issues myself and did these:
    – Installed an email logging plugin so I could find out why some emails were not sent
    – Installed an SMTP plugin, correctly configured, to make sure ALL emails were sent
    – Created my own plugin to make sure I see that people are really subscribed to the forum (https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-manage-subscriptions/). Nothing sophisticated and just for my own needs, but if it can be of any help…

For the ‘notifications’, don’t fall into the same trap like me: You don’t get notifications for topics you create yourself ! So use at least 2 accounts to test. Also the email logging showed how TO: and CC: fields were filled.

Hope it points you in a correct direction,
    Pascal.

Robkk

@robkk

bbPress does not add a subscriptions menu item in the backend of WordPress. There is this in your frontend forum profile though.

https://bbpress.org/forums/profile/andyrushtonprogramming/subscriptions

andyrushtonprogramming
    Participant

@andyrushtonprogramming

Hi @robkk,

that seems to answer a different question – it only lists forums I’m subscribed to in bbPress.org, not subscriptions on my website – and I can’t see how it could list those since there’s no connection. I’m talking about a self-hosting website using bbPress as a plugin.

One reason I was asking was because of this post in the codex:

Subscriptions

Is this post wrong?

andyrushtonprogramming
    Participant

@andyrushtonprogramming

Hi casiepa,

thank you for the helpful tips.

I have installed a plugin called bbPress Notify (No-Spam) which does the notification functionality I was looking for. It seems to be working!

I’ll look up your plugin for the subscriptions listing functionality (although the notifications is actually the bigger issue despite how it appears from my OP).

I already have an SMTP plugin – Easy WP SMTP – so I’ll have a look at whether that does debug messages. Otherwise that’s another helpful tip.

Thanks again, I’m getting there…

Robkk

@robkk

@andyrushtonprogramming go to your forum profile on your website, I was just using the one on bbpress.org just as an example.

It should be something like

yoursite.com/forums/profile/username/subscriptions

With “yoursite.com” being your actual site url, and “username” being your username. You can easily access your profile by hitting your author link in your reply.

If you have BuddyPress active, the bbPress forum profile will merge into BuddyPress, and anything in the bbPress should be under a menu item on your profile named Forums.

andyrushtonprogramming
    Participant

@andyrushtonprogramming

@Robkk oops sorry for being slow on the uptake on what you were saying. OK, I get it now. Except I can’t get it working on our installation. We’re using bbPress stand-alone, not part of BuddyPress, so maybe the link you gave only works when using the combination of the two? The ‘profile’ element in the URL suggests that this is a BuddyPress feature to me since bbPress doesn’t have profiles.

Anyway, it’s not really what I was trying to fix. I’m using the “bbPress Notify (NoSpam)” plugin to solve the actual problem. But thanks for the tip, it is useful in these forums.

Robkk

@robkk

bbPress does have profiles, but like I said with BuddyPress active the profiles merge by defautt.

IF you want link me to your site and I could just point it out for you.

IF you have BuddyPress the subscriptions section will be something like this by default.

yoursite.com/members/andyrushtonprogramming/forums/subscriptions/

Without BuddyPress the subscriptions section will be in your bbPress forum profile with a url simllar to this by default.

yoursite.com/forums/profile/andyrushtonprogramming/subscriptions

Did that help you find it yet?

andyrushtonprogramming
    Participant

@andyrushtonprogramming

Hi @Robkk,

OK, found it. My profile was at:

http://yoursite.com/forums/users/andyrushtonprogramming/subscriptions/

It turns out the “users” segment of the URL is customisable, so obviously in your install it’s set to something different.

It seems strange that this is tucked away and not easy to find. But now I know it’s there I can inform the website users of it.

Robkk

@robkk

Oh yeah sorry the slug is “profile” on this site.

It is easy to find a users profile by clicking the author link on their replies/topics.

If you need something that could link to your profile, like say in the menu, you can try something like this.

// Filter wp_nav_menu() to add profile link
    add_filter( 'wp_nav_menu_items', 'my_nav_menu_profile_link' );
    function my_nav_menu_profile_link($menu) {
        if (!is_user_logged_in())
            return $menu;
        else
            $current_user = wp_get_current_user();
            $user=$current_user->user_nicename ;
            $profilelink = '<li><a href="/forums/users/' . $user . '/">Profile</a></li>';
            $menu = $menu . $profilelink;
            return $menu;

}

andyrushtonprogramming
    Participant

@andyrushtonprogramming

@robkk: I might just do that and add it to members’ WordPress profile. Thanks for the advice on this.

KubiK888
    Participant

@kubik888

Hi all, I am new to bbpress support forum and I have no idea how to create a new support topic, and no way to contact site admin directly, so please forgive me to post it here.

Could someone please tell me how I can create a new support topic on bbpress.org support forum? I am able to login using my wordpress account information, but nowhere I can see any button for me to create my own request of support topic. Any help is highly appreciated.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar