Categories
Search
Bottom

String missing from translation file

• rothaar
    Participant

@rothaar

Hi,

could it be that there is a string missing in the bbPress translation file? I’m currently creating my forum. As far as I can see all the strings are translated fine but one.

http://screencast.com/t/Itg0OHkV9Gs

I’ve looked through all the strings that contain ‘by’ and they are all translated correctly with the German word ‘von’. However, I’m thinking that this particular ‘by’ is not even in the list and therefore not translated. Can somebody help me with this?

I’m using:
    WordPress 4.5
    BuddyPress 2.5.2
    bbPress 2.5.8
    Polylang 1.8.5
    Loco Translate 1.5.5

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• rothaar
    Participant

@rothaar

Hi,
    I would really appreciate your help. I’ve been searching for a solution, but I can’t figure it out. Is there a way that I can ad a missing string to a translation file so it is then available for translation?

Any tip is appreciated.

K.

Hi Karen,

I suspect that is coming from your theme and not from bbPress as I don’t recognize that column as being standard WordPress.

If this is a public site, could you post the link here so I have a look ?

Thanks,
    Pascal.

rothaar
    Participant

@rothaar

Hi Pascal,
    thank you so much for your reply!

The forum is not accessible via the menu yet, but you should be able to see it if you follow this link: http://tangleblogs.com/de/forums/

Thank you. 🙂
    Karen

Robkk

@robkk

@rothaar bbPress by default does not have this kind of layout or the “by” in the last post column, so it is definitely your theme.

I think that the “by” is just in a template, maybe loop-single-topic.php and loop-single-forum.php in your theme.

It might be best to create a child theme and manually edit the template and then translate the word to your language.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Just copy your main themes bbPress templates into your child theme, and edit the files I listed above.

rothaar
    Participant

@rothaar

Hi Robkk,

thank you for your reply. I appreciate your help. 🙂
    I’ve added a new site to my multisite installation, set the language to German and activated bbPress. The ‘by’ did not show. I then activated my theme. The ‘by’ still did not show.

Could it be that the theme only causes the ‘by’ to show if two (or more) languages are active or that a plugin is causing it? I activated some of the plugins I’m using on my site related to bbPress and BuddyPress, but I couldn’t recreate the issue.

Thanks
    K.

Robkk

@robkk

I’ve added a new site to my multisite installation, set the language to German and activated bbPress. The ‘by’ did not show.

Was the word “by” turned into “von”, or was there an entirely different layout when you activated your theme on new site install? If it was “von” by default in the new site installation then, then maybe it could be a possible cache issue on your original site, so flushing the cache could then update the word to “von”.

Could it be that the theme only causes the ‘by’ to show if two (or more) languages are active or that a plugin is causing it?

Are you planning to have a multilingual single site? You might be on to something here if you are trying to run a multilingual single site.

Just so you know, I thought the root issue could be the “by” not changing in your forums is because it might have outputted the text using code from a custom phpbb starter pack theme created by @lynq, here is an example of the custom forum freshness column from the starter pack.

https://gist.github.com/ntwb/3133450

rothaar
    Participant

@rothaar

Hi Robkk,

no, it wasn’t turned into von. It looks like this: http://screencast.com/t/FLR74UlGQaYp

Are you planning to have a multilingual single site? You might be on to something here if you are trying to run a multilingual single site.

Yes, that was the idea, but I keep running into so many issues with this that I’m now starting to consider separate installations.

One of the issues is that a multilingual single site requires a translation for forum posts for them to show up at all. I would like users to be able to access my website in their language (menus, buttons etc) and write forum posts in their language without the need of a translation.

However, if I post something in English it will not show unless I translate the post into German and vice versa. You can imagine that it would not be feasible to translate every forum post. If I deactivate the translation of replies, then part of the interface won’t be translated either.

I’m not sure though if I can create one community if I separate the installs for the languages. E.g. I would still like users to be able to contact each other via private and public messages and post in the German and/or the English forum. Member lists should show members of both sites etc.

I’ve not looked into this yet so I don’t know if this can be done.

Just so you know, I thought the root issue could be the “by” not changing in your forums is because it might have outputted the text using code from a custom phpbb starter pack theme created by @lynq, here is an example of the custom forum freshness column from the starter pack.

https://gist.github.com/ntwb/3133450

I see what you mean. I think I’ll check with the author of my theme (Buddy) and see what he says. Thanks for the tip!

Robkk

@robkk

no, it wasn’t turned into von. It looks like this: http://screencast.com/t/FLR74UlGQaYp

This almost looks like the default way bbPress displays the last post column and seems to be the default way in your theme for single forum post pages. The “by” could probably only be shown on the forum archive on your site. At least that is how I see it when I see a demo of your premium theme.

One of the issues is that a multilingual single site requires a translation for forum posts for them to show up… You can imagine that it would not be feasible to translate every forum post…

Yeah I can.

I’m not sure though if I can create one community if I separate the installs for the languages.

Your right it is probably better if you could just have a single forum for a small community of users (whatever is the minority of either English or German users). Maybe a theme/bbPress plugin translation switcher if the user comes from an IP in Germany. I am not sure just brainstorming.

I see what you mean. I think I’ll check with the author of my theme (Buddy) and see what he says. Thanks for the tip!

I kind of 90% think it is just something in the theme in a function or straight up in a forum archive template file. It could be a simple fix with a just a child theme and using the bbPress templates in your currently active theme.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar