Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Stop Group Forum Posts Showing On bbp-topic-index Page

• dasped
    Participant

@dasped

Running bang up-to-date WP Multisite, Buddyperss, BBPress.

No preview available, site still under maintenance.

I need to remove group forum posts from showing up within the forum index.

Seems quite strange that you can set up private groups with their own forums, but all their forum post activity shows up for all to read on the [bbp-topic-index] page? Not so private?

Am I missing something that is staring me in the face or is this seriously just how it works? If the latter is the case, I’d be very grateful if anyone could please assist with a workaround of some description.

I’d like to eliminate all group posts from showing on the forum index page listing if possible please.

Regards….

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• dasped
    Participant

@dasped

So private groups have public forums end of? Or all group posts must show in index?

I’d love to be able to just lose the group post aspect in index full stop.

Would really appreciate some light being shone this way.. Thanks

CorranCain
    Participant

@corrancain

I have the same issue.

Topic from Private / Group Forums/Categorys show up in the Widged “Recent Topic” to non group members.
    Also the funktion “Parent Forum ID:” seems not to be working properly (or I’m doing something wrong πŸ˜› )

regards
    Farès

dasped
    Participant

@dasped

Hate bumping posts but would love some information regarding this issue. Private is not private. I can’t get my head around the theory or the mechanics.

Thanks.

craig
    Participant

@craigheyworth

i’m looking for the same solution

dasped
    Participant

@dasped

Feels rather like Mount Vesuvius spilled its belly out around these parts and only the plaster casts of what were once admins, moderators and devs remain.

I keep hitting that tab with ‘support’ as its title but struggle to see too much of it going on.

I’m certain it can’t just be me that finds this place to be rather like a ghostly Pompeii. This is still a live project and forum for a pretty cool plugin right?

Anyone,,, anyone…

Hi πŸ™‚

We are all just volunteers helping out where and when we can, that becomes more noticeable when a few of us have other stuff going on and we can’t dedicate as much time as we’d like to πŸ™‚

Most definitely private group forum posts should not be showing up when using [bbp-topic-index].

bbPress 2.4 is just about out the door https://bbpress.org/blog/2013/08/bbpress-2-4-release-candidate-1/ but if you give that a try and see how well your BuddyPress Group Forums are being integrated and if your issue has been fixed, if not create a new ticket in trac and we can take a look https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/. I am pretty sure your issues should be covered in the fix from Ticket #2349

dasped
    Participant

@dasped

Thanks @Stephen Edgar,

Sorry if I came across a tad harsh and perhaps unappreciative. I’m sure you understand that it is just frustrating when you can’t get your head round something like this.

I thank you for your update and look forward to uploading the release candidate in the hope it resolves the issue for me.

Cheers.

kcurlsjr
    Participant

@kcurlsjr

@netweb said:

definitely private group forum posts should not be showing up when using [bbp-topic-index].

So I am trying to wrap my head around how this topic index shortcode should work. Is it intended to only display public forums? Or should it display forums the user has permissions to see?

If the latter, is that determined by the forum visibility, the buddypress group privacy status, or both?

Here is what I am experiencing with bbp 2.4, BP 1.8.1, and WP 3.6:

If the visibility of a group forum is changed (at the forum level) from published to private then a user with the forum role of participant can see the private forums in the topic index as well as on the forum root page. These are visible even if the user isn’t a member of that BP group.

But if I use the repair tool to “recalculate private and hidden forums”, that same user can no longer see them in the topic index (again, regardless of if the user is a group member or not), but can still view them on the forum root page.

Is this what should be happening?

Or perhaps is this related to this defect?

My ultimate goal is to have a user role that can view private topics and another role that can not. Can this be accomplished using that topic-index shortcode, or do I need to find another solution?

Thanks for all your efforts!

namrons
    Participant

@namrons

Last post on this thread was over two years ago and it would seem that this is still an issue: private group forum posts are still showing up when using [bbp-topic-index]. Is there a way to hide them?

Hi namrons,

Check ‘bbP Private Groups’ and use the shortcodes and widgets provided by this plugin.

Pascal.

namrons
    Participant

@namrons

Thanks for the suggestion @casiepa but I have a large and well established Buddypress based community and cannot rebuild the groups. Unless it works with Buddypress based groups? My bbPress forums are set up only inside these Buddypress groups and I imagined that the private groups would support fully private forums. The “bbp-topic-index” shortcode provided by bbPress makes the private groups forum topics visible to members of the community who are not part of these private groups.

Robkk

@robkk

@namrons

Make sure the forum in the private group is also private by editing the forum and setting the visibility in the specific forum by going to Forums > All Forums.

Now after that make sure to run the repair tools in Tools > Forums.

Doing this hid it from the topic index for me. It should work for the widgets since the forum is private too.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar