Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Step two questions

• I am setting up bbpress with WPMU intergration.

A couple of things are not so clear.

1. In cookie settings under WordPress “logged in” cookie salt it asks for a setting of “logged_in_salt” and gives a URL to my admin options to get it – onlt it isn’t on that page at all which is confusing. It says If you leave this blank the installer will try to fetch the value based on your WordPress database integration settings – which I can only hope it will.

2. Then in Show advanced database settings I came across something I had not know or considered. Can I give the forum the same database as my WP and enter the same settings in the set up? I have set up another DB for bbpress but it would seem to make sense to share the membership. Is it too late to change the DB here if so?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Scrap this, it appears you on on trial and the 1st point didn’t seem to cause a problem.

I have got to re-install though as I entered Admin in as the keymaster and the install said I couldn’t use it as it was already used then it threw all its toys out the pram and wouldn’t let me in.

START OVER!

FFS!

I deleated all the bbpress files and uploaded them again to start over.

I get past the step one database details but on step two it says:

Oh dear!

bbPress is already installed. >>>NO IT ISN’T – I DELEATED IT<<<

Perhaps you meant to run the upgrade script instead?

I’ve no idea now – any suggestions please. Stuck!

Empty the database and then try to re-install it.

kipperman, if the database has the tables in it, it’ll show up as needing to upgrade. You have to delete the tables, not just wipe them.

In regards to the KEYs and SALTs, you should be able to pull them right from the wp-config.php file for WPMU. It’s not quite right in the setup, I noticed last week.

Can I give the forum the same database as my WP and enter the same settings in the set up?

Yes you can :)

Stoke me a flipper, I’ll be back by lunch.

I have the same database as the WP install for BBpress, How do I delete the tables without ruining the WPMU database info?

I can only assume that on the DB the bb tables are separated somehow. A word of advise please before I wreck it all!

From phpMyAdmin, select bbPress tables and delete them by “drop” option. Before doing anything, takes a backup incase anything goes wrong.

OK, thanks.

Done that and re-installed it. It completed saying:

Your installation completed with some minor errors. See the error log below for more specific information.

These read as:

>>> WordPress “auth” cookie salt not set.

>>>>>> Could not fetch “auth” cookie salt from the WordPress options table.

>>>>>> You will need to manually define the “auth” cookie salt in your database.

>>> WordPress “logged in” cookie salt not set.

>>>>>> Could not fetch “logged in” cookie salt from the WordPress options table.

>>>>>> You will need to manually define the “logged in” cookie salt in your database.

Unsure about that but it looks painful!

The forum has at least opened and I seem to be in it.

All that means is you should go into your wp-config and copy the whole lines for AUTH and SALT. Then paste those into bb-config, but name ’em BB_AUTH and BB_SALT :)

Example:

In wp-config.php I have

define('AUTH_KEY',        'blahblah');
    define('SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'blahblah');
    define('LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'blahblah');
    define('NONCE_KEY', 'blahblah');
    define('AUTH_SALT', 'bliddyblah');
    define('LOGGED_IN_SALT', 'bliddyblah');

In bb-config.php I have

define('BB_AUTH_KEY',        'blahblah');
    define('BB_SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'blahblah');
    define('BB_LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'blahblah');
    define('BB_NONCE_KEY', 'blahblah');
    define('BB_AUTH_SALT', 'bliddyblah');
    define('BB_LOGGED_IN_SALT', 'bliddyblah');

Well knock me down with a feather!

There was certainly a brief eeeeeek! moment when uploaded the config file and refreshed but all seem well.

Thank you for your help.

Just one last question really, how do I colour the forum to suit my site. I haven’t found any theme downloads like WP, only plug ins – are into CSS land? Im not over fussy just what a blue header for now.

Check out https://bbpress.org/documentation/themes/

Basically you’ll make a new theme, but bbPress acts like a child theme, in that if you don’t specify something, it uses the default from the Kakumei templates. Once you get in there, it starts to make sense and feel elegant.

Thanks very much. Loooking now.

Thread resolved.

I’ll post any new questions in a fresh topic as they aren’t valid here now I guess.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar