Categories
Search
Bottom

Sidebar Help

• wesphily
    Participant

@wesphily

Hello,

I have searched all over trying to find out how to fix my issue. The website is generalrealestateacademy.com. I have bbpress and buddypress installed on the Nimva theme. I was trying to get a sidebar working on bbpress but was unsuccessful. Now, there is a space to the right like a sidebar is trying to show, but it doesn’t show. Sidebars work on any other page besides the forum.

My first goal is to reclaim the space to the right of the forum so that it is full width. My next goal is to get a sidebar working. (I have tried content aware, bbpress wp tweaks, and other plugins.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

Try to see that you are placing widgets in the right sidebar for it to show on the bbPress pages.

IF you want full-width forums.

Try this custom CSS to see if it fixes the empty space and makes your forums actually full width. Place the custom css in your child themes style.css file or in a custom css plugin.

.bbpress .sidebar {
      width: 0;
      display: none;
    }

.bbpress .postcontent {
        width: 100%;
    }

wesphily
    Participant

@wesphily

Robkk,

Thanks for that. It fixed the space issue. Now I have to figure out how to get a sidebar working.
    I have been trying to do this by going to the page labelled “forums” that has the index shortcode in it and then adding a sidebar that I have created. I then added widgets to that sidebar. I have also tried content aware and bbpress wp tweak. I still can’t get a sidebar to show on the bbpress page. I can get it to show on any other page.

Robkk

@robkk

Do you want full width forums and just the sidebar placed under the forums??

If you do remove this part of the CSS code.

.bbpress .sidebar {
      width: 0;
      display: none;
    }

i can tell you are also using a full width template from your theme, and of course that will hide the sidebar.

wesphily
    Participant

@wesphily

I’ll hit up Nimva to see how to change the default template. Since the forums aren’t pages I can select the template like I would any other page.

wesphily
    Participant

@wesphily

This is the response I got from Nimva:

Your code source and current page template might be generated using BBPress templates not by Nimva page templates. Try to edit that Forums page and see if it is possible change the current page template to Default page template under Page Attributes -> Templates. See if that does anything

I think what they are asking me to do is create a page and put the forum index shortcode in it. Then they want me to try to adjust the page template to see if a sidebar shows up. This might work, but it would only work for the main index page. I don’t think this would work for every category/topic/ect.. unless I create shortcode pages for all of them.

Can you all please advise?

wesphily
    Participant

@wesphily

Nimva just informed me that they never intended for their theme to work with bbpress. Also, they don’t support it. Guess I’ll be hunting for a new theme.

Robkk

@robkk

Well since you did not place the shortcode in a page. bbPress is inheriting a template in your theme. And it could be one that you can just modify in your theme settings to include a sidebar or not.

To fix the issue you can create a bbpress.php file in your theme and just make sure that the sidebar code is inserted.

Getting Started in Modifying the Main bbPress Template

While using the What The File plugin to spot what templates are being used on your forum archive page and also single forum/topic pages, you can see if they are two separate templates being used.
    Or you can just stick to using a sidebar in your theme and not using a fullwidth layout at all on archive/single pages.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar