Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Should I set up my forums on another MS subsite to improve site speed?

• Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

Hello everyone,

I run a site with quite a heavy theme and 35 plugins, and we had site load times of up to 10s before installing bbpress. Now, with bbpress and its many friendly plugins, on average two more seconds were thrown into the mix. This seems too much.

So I thought: I have a MS installation, why not put the forums into their own subsite (subdomain). Noone will notice if I use the same theme and let the menus crosslink the sites. (Except those who actually look at the URL.)

My question is: Would you do that, too? Because it seems, people in these support forums only ever try to migrate their forums into their blog install, not the other way round. Which, as I would expect, would make things much slower on their end.

Best
    Manuel

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Pascal Casier

@casiepa

Hi, welcome back.
    If your subsite is on the same server, towards the same MySQL or MariaDB… then for the performance it will probably not help a lot.
    Why not trying to go to the root of the issue and try to reduce the 10s loading to at least 8s so that the extra 2s from bbPress are not adding extra ?

Please note that WordPress requirements/recommendations are on https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

Some things to check first:
    – Have you run all the repair tools of bbpress after import to be sure your structure is optimized ?
    – Have you deactivated any not-needed plugin ? Is your theme ready for bbPress ?
    – Are you using any cache mechanism to improve speed where possible ?
    – Did you try to run performance tools like the P3 plugin performance profiler to narrow down the possible slow parts ?
    – What score do you get on gtmetrix.com ? Or what did the pingdom tools indicate ?
    – Is it for all people in the world the same ? Check with sucuri performance.
    – Some further reading: https://codex.bbpress.org/getting-started/improving-performance/

If it would come to database queries, also check these plugins:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/query-monitor/
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/query-monitor-bbpress-buddypress-conditionals/

Then of course there are a list of performance improvements that can be done on caching, offloading, … with plugins like W3 Total cache, batcache, WP Super Cache or other. Also check autoptimize and using cloudflare.

Also note that in the upcoming bbPress v2.6 (hopefully before the end of this year), a lot of focus went on possible performance issues.
    Hope it helps,
    Pascal.

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

I appreciate bbPress may add an extra 2 seconds to your site, though I’m not sure why.

That said, if your site was taking 10 seconds before bbPress I would stop visiting your site, honestly, even the best content in the world would not be enough for me to endure a 10 second page load.

As Pascal’s detailed reply points out above, I would take a look at the cause of your sites poor performance and get that fixed before adding anything new to your site.

Robkk

@robkk

So I thought: I have a MS installation, why not put the forums into their own subsite (subdomain). Noone will notice if I use the same theme and let the menus crosslink the sites. (Except those who actually look at the URL.)

My question is: Would you do that, too? Because it seems, people in these support forums only ever try to migrate their forums into their blog install, not the other way round. Which, as I would expect, would make things much slower on their end.

You can do that. You do not have to run a blog and forum on the same site. You can just use WordPress for content management on your bbPress forum only sub site.

Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

Thank you all for your feedback. After some thorough investigation, I managed to finally configure my caching so that it actually works (never checked that… my mistake – I entered the wrong path in .htaccess). Also, I hard-coded some tweak in my theme, something which was only recently brought to my attention.

And this morning, one of our users finally had site load times of <1s on our forums. I can happily leave them on our main site – even if P3 reported bbpress & Associates as major sources of site load time: That it still is very little with good caching and static CSS/JS files in place (which I did not have before, they were computed on site load, thanks to my theme).

Best
    Manuel

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

Awesome, glad you’ve got your site running faster 🙂

Hopefully as bbPress 2.6 main focus has been on performance this will get even better once 2.6 is released.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar