Categories
Search
Bottom

Set up Custom Forums Page but the ‘path’ returns to a default ‘forums’ page

• aaronos
    Participant

@aaronos

I am using the Listify theme at http://tattsamistake.com

For some reason none of the page themes will work with bbpress (if I am wrong would love to know!)

So I followed the instructions on building a new page and adding the forums short-code to it. Even then it isn’t ideal but it will just about do – you can see it at http://tattsamistake.com/tattoo-forum/

If I click on any forum I then get presented with a directory ‘path’ to go back one page ie – Tattoo Removal Australia › Forums › Caring for Tattoos

The problem is – if I click on ‘Forums’ I go to the ‘default’ forums page that doesn’t work, rather than the new forums page that I built (that mostly works)

If I go to settings and change the name ‘forums’ to the same name as my custom-made forums page, it then overwrites my page template choice with the template that doesn’t work for forums – so it breaks the page

So in short – how can I get that ‘path’ Tattoo Removal Australia › Forums › Caring for Tattoos

to point to my working forums page, rather than a non-working forums page?

Hope this makes sense!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

aaronos
    Participant

@aaronos

i did – thanks. my problem is there isn’t any page theme/template in listify that works at all. I don’t have the skill base to write a page that would work from scratch, and it’s not like there is a listify template that is ‘almost’ working that I can modify.

Quite possibly a dumb question (apologies in advance) but is there such a thing as a dummy/generic bbpress template that I could upload that would work, and then I could modify it to look a bit more like my themes?

Robkk

@robkk

@aaronos

I will edit the guide again to show how a generic template for bbPress should look later today.

did you use the What the File plugin and just get nothing??

aaronos
    Participant

@aaronos

Thanks so much – although I am wondering if it is going to solve my problem (but please do!)

The reason I say that is….

I downloaded ‘What the File plug in’ and looked at the forums page that isnt working (the default page). It ‘was’ using ‘index.php’ where as the page I built that does work uses ‘page.php’

So then I used ‘bbPRess wp tweaks to tell it to use ‘page.php’ for the non-working forums page

And now when I go to the non-working forums page, What That file tells me I am using ‘pages.php’ (same template that works on the other page) but as you can probably guess it still doesnt render!

It’s like listify is telling it to ignore whatever page I choose and just ‘don’t render it correctly!’

Another ‘not so good’ solution would be just to remove ‘forums’ from that path directory, or that entire directory (but I dont know if that can be done). While it reduce navigation for the site, at least it would remove a bogus link that doesnt work

Robkk

@robkk

Well the file you are suppose to copy and create a bbpress.php file from is index.php

And although putting the forum index shortcode in a page is “easier” in a sense , you will still come up with issues just like you are going through. This is why I have been editing the Codex for the last few days to hopefully fix these issues that users might come across.

As for that weird wp tweaks issue you have , I do not know how to fix that. if you are only using that plugin just for a bbPress specific sidebar there are better plugins than that one.

And it is not hard to manually create a bbPress specific sidebar too.

Thanks so much – although I am wondering if it is going to solve my problem (but please do!)

it might help a little, there is a bunch of post meta that you would have to remove for it to look correct.

You can also contact me later today through email, if you need help during the process.

Contact

aaronos
    Participant

@aaronos

Hi there – thanks so much for your help so far. I did some more tests and I just cant get it to work (so looking forward to your template or codex changes.

To summarise:

1. I was only using WPtweaks to tell it which page to use as a template but no matter which one I told it to use – it didnt work. Have since de-activated

2. If I add the short-code to a custom page using the page.php code it works

3. It doesnt matter if the default forum uses index.php or page.php – it doesnt work.

4. I have sequentially copied pages.php and index.php and made them bbpress.php and each time I can see that the default forum is using it, and each time it doesnt work

So i guess I need a generic index.php that will work (which I think you said you were producing) OR some workaround so the generic forums page doesnt appear in the directory path

Robkk

@robkk

looking forward to your template or codex changes

I just updated the codex article and put an example template to look and study off of.

It is not just copy and pasting the template into a file and it working, you have to study it and read the comments in the code and find similarities in your index.php file. Then you can create a bbpress.php file from your index.php file.

If I add the short-code to a custom page using the page.php code it works

Yes I know but it is just that page, you need all of the bbPress forum pages. Using shortcodes like that means you would have to put a topic shortcode for every topic you have in a bunch of pages. And that is not what either of us are looking for , right??

It doesnt matter if the default forum uses index.php or page.php – it doesnt work.

Yes it does, and you have to edit the new bbpress.php file.

I have sequentially copied pages.php and index.php and made them bbpress.php and each time I can see that the default forum is using it, and each time it doesnt work

Its not as easy as just renaming it.

So i guess I need a generic index.php that will work (which I think you said you were producing) OR some workaround so the generic forums page doesnt appear in the directory path

Was busy with other stuff , but yes i uploaded an example template to look over and compare to your index.php. You cannot just copy and paste , you have to look at the simple code and read how it works in the comments i left in the code.

aaronos
    Participant

@aaronos

thanks for your help! Your codex worked for me and has now given me the basis to style the page a bit more.

Thanks a lot

Robkk

@robkk

@aaronos

I just checked your site , and I see you basically just copied and pasted the example template and created a bbpress.php from it.

I told you it is not that easy, that’s why your pages look a little off.

If you still need help with this then reply back.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar