Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Separate forums?

• jackoslam
    Participant

@jackoslam

On a single site, can I have a different forum for each of my main menu topics? Let me give an exaggerated example. If I were to have a site called “Cars,” I might have a menu for GM with separate pages for Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, etc. And I might have a Ford menu with Ford models, etc. Can I have a different bbPress formum for each of these models, as opposed to one large forum categorized by Topic Title and tags? In other words, a user might go to page about Chevrolets and post a relevant node there. Someone else might open a menu about Lincolns and add a post to this page, and so on?

Please excuse me for being elementary.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

no problem

set up your ‘cars’ as categories
    Dashboard>forums>new forum. Call it say GM then on the right hand side you’ll see ‘Type’ change this to category

Save this and exit.

The in

Dashboard>forums>all forums you have your forum list. For the GM forum, hover over the ‘edit’ option, and at the bottom of the screen you’ll see something like

http://www.mysite.com/wp-admin/post.php/post=123&action= edit

Make a note that 123 equals the GM forum category – you’ll need this later.

The create your sub forums as forums eg Buick, Cadillac, and on the right and side make these have a parent of GM

Then create a wordpress page called say GM, and put the shortcode

[bbp-single-forum id=123]

where 123 was the post number of the category forum you noted above

Then just add this page to your menu

jackoslam
    Participant

@jackoslam

Thanks to you, I am beginning to understand. Good job. However, I may not have described my objective sufficiently. For simplicity let me start over.

On a single site, I want a different forum for each of my main menu topics. I will give an exaggerated example. If I were to have a site called “Cars,” I might have a menu for GM with separate pages for Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, etc. And I might have a Ford menu with Ford models, etc. The Chevrolet page will begin with a certain amount of editorial content by me, and at the end of my editorial content (which may continue for several pages), I would like the Chevrolet forum to begin or at least have a link to a child page where this forum is located. The Buick, Cadillac, and Ford pages should have the same format—e.g. Buick editorial pp. followed by the Buick forum, Cadillac content followed by the Cadillac forum, etc. The user who finishes reading about Fords, for example, might next go a top menu called “Nissan” or its submenu, “Nissan Forum.”

Maybe at some point I would want a single page listing all the different forums with hotlinks to them. Your note about creating a GM page would seem to embody this idea, which is clever.

Meanwhile, however, can I list only one forum at a time? Users who read about Chevrolets should find only the Chevrolet forum at the end the pages that appear after the user clicks a top menu called “Chevrolet.” But links to all my forums automatically appear together when I want, say, only the Chevrolet forum to be shown. If I have 70 car models and 70 car forums, I would not want to list all 70 forum links every time that one finishes reading about a particular car.

I know how to create child pages if that is what you would recommend, but how can I avoid the repetitious listing of all the forums or else stick this information in a button? A button to the effect “See other forums,” in fact, might have merit as a table of contents to the all the other forums—similar to your GM page.

Robin W

@robin-w

Meanwhile, however, can I list only one forum at a time?

see earlier answer – ‘[bbp-single-forum id=123]‘

at the end the pages that appear after the user clicks a top menu called “Chevrolet.”

see earlier answer – ‘Then create a wordpress page called say GM, and put the shortcode’

you can put as much text on that page before the shortcode as you like

“See other forums,”

just use a hyperlink to a page with the shortcode [bbp-forum-index]

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_links.asp

jackoslam
    Participant

@jackoslam

Thanks. However, somehow I am not getting the intended result. Could you please tell me what I might be doing wrong?

I created (for my somewhat silly example) a Chevrolet forum. I hovered over it and saw: http://www.sitename/wp-admin/post.php?post=492&action=edit (where “sitename” is the name of my site).

I then went to the Chevrolet page on my site where the Chevrolet forum is intended to appear after my editorial note on Chevrolets. I entered: [bbp-single-forum id=492]. When I click on Visit Site and navigate to the Chevrolet page, I see the Chevrolet forum, but the login screen of my Home page somehow overlays this forum. How can I prevent this overlay? Perhaps something about the forum defaults to the Home screen since the forum has no parent. The only parent that I could assign to the Chevrolet forum would be another forum.

The Home screen also overlays my other forums. All that works as expected is the GM page that I created from Dashboard . . . All Pages . . . Add New. I then pasted on this page [bbp-forum-index], and when I click on Visit Site and navigate to this GM page, it does what I want–I see links to all the forums. But after clicking on any link to a forum, I see the Home screen overlay.

Robin W

@robin-w

Sorry, need a screenshot to understand 🙂

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar