Categories
Search
Bottom

search function still available after searching

• haddly
    Participant

@haddly

Hi,
    I have received a few complaints from my users, that when they search in the our forum, a result list displays, but it’s not possible to keep searching without having to go back to the main forum page.
    Is there a way to keep the search function on every page/post of the forum?
    thanks in advance for any replies/help with this.
    Daniel

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• haddly
    Participant

@haddly

Do i need to provide more information for this query to be answered?

Robin W

@robin-w

no just a little patience !

haddly
    Participant

@haddly

Thx, didn’t mean to be pushy

Robkk

@robkk

Use this PHP code place it into a child theme functions.php file or use a plugin like functionality.

//display bbPress search form in search results
    function rk_bbp_search_form_in_search_results(){

if ( bbp_allow_search() && bbp_is_search_results() ) {
            ?>
            <div class="bbp-search-form">

<?php bbp_get_template_part( 'form', 'search' ); ?>

</div>
            <?php
        }
    }

add_action( 'bbp_template_before_search', 'rk_bbp_search_form_in_search_results' );

Also look at this guide.

https://codex.bbpress.org/layout-and-functionality-examples-you-can-use/#23-show%c2%a0the-bbpress-forum-search-everywhere

haddly
    Participant

@haddly

Hi Robkk,

Thanks for the code. unfortunately it doesn’t work for my website. Well, I have a vagrant set up on my computer with a copy website and i test everything there before i make real changes.
    I made a child theme and a style.css file (this works as my wordpress site recognises it) and i made a functions.php file and added the code you gave me. The thing is, i tried some other code that exists on https://codex.bbpress.org/layout-and-functionality-examples-you-can-use/#23-show%c2%a0the-bbpress-forum-search-everywhere and they didnt work either.
    any suggestions?
    would greatly appreciate any help.
    thx
    Dan

haddly
    Participant

@haddly

Hi,
    can you tell me if its actually worth adding a child theme, if the parent theme is an individually created one by a web design company? There wont be any updates to this theme.
    Also, can you explain what you meant by “… or use a plugin like functionality. “.?

Robkk

@robkk

Also, can you explain what you meant by “… or use a plugin like functionality. “.?

This plugin its called Functionality, its like a plugin that can hold custom php code snippets.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/functionality/

Thanks for the code. unfortunately it doesn’t work for my website

Both of the code snippets I posted should show the forum search above a single topic, single forum, and in search results. Well unless your custom theme has custom bbPress templates with all the available hooks I am using in my code removed.

can you tell me if its actually worth adding a child theme, if the parent theme is an individually created one by a web design company?

I mean you do not have to.

haddly
    Participant

@haddly

Hi,
    can you tell me if i should be able to add this to my functions.php file and it should work?
    The reason i ask is that i have tried it and it doesnt show any search box after the initial search.
    thx

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar