Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

"Sandbox" theme

• Hard Seat Sleeper
    Participant

@hseatsleeper

What bbpress really needs is it’s “SANDBOX” theme. This was the groundbreaking wordpress theme that really took the platform to another level by giving themers a “clean slate” on which to work.

I recently updated Sandbox for wp 2.9 (http://selfevidenthotdogs.com/sandbox/) and have a mind to create something similar for bbpress. This will take some time, I’m no genius.

If someone else is working on this already, please let me know, we can work together on it.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• grassrootspa

@grassrootspa

The Sandbox theme is awesome…great to see you working on this HSeatSleeper.

There was talk a while back about bundling Sandbox as a default WordPress theme. It would be great to see this happen and bbPress include a variation as well!

Hard Seat Sleeper
    Participant

@hseatsleeper

Thinking about this a bit more, eventually bbpress will be a plugin, no? So we won’t even need themes at all.

So creating a Sandbox theme would be a lot of work for something that would eventually be phased out.

grassrootspa

@grassrootspa

God forbid it become a plugin. That will be a very sad day. I hope Matt reconsiders.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I don’t think there’s any question at this point. Here’s what Matt said on Dec 30 ’09:

“[21:26 GMT] <photomatt> bbPress will definitely be a WP plugin”

https://bbpress.org/blog/2010/01/2009-12-30-meetup/

Hard Seat Sleeper
    Participant

@hseatsleeper

Thinking about this some more, it might be a while before bbpress becomes a plugin. I’ll start on a sandbox theme regardless. Even if it only gets used for a few months (?), this would help move bbpress forward and get serious themers/skinners seeing it as a viable platform.

@chris, I think that’s still faaaaaaaaaar off tbh, and I do hope he reconsiders as well. As a plugin would be bloody slow compared to dedicated software. My honest opinion is it should be 2, standalone and there should be a plugin to make that standalone integrated with wordpress! So people will have a choice. Personally I think this is one of the fastest/most secure forum software out there. It would be as silly as making a wp plugin for bbpress. They should be separate and linkable through plugins. (1 at the wp side, 1 at the bbpress side)

@HSeatSleeper, I hope you will still continue this, because even if it’s gonna happen it’ll still take a long time till it reaches the stage of WP plugin. Your theme could still be used for the standalone version, even if it becomes obsolete.

grassrootspa

@grassrootspa

@chrishajer: Yeah, read that a while back. I really hope this will be reconsidered.

@nerieru: I’m with you, would be much more in favor of an integration plugin than making bbPress itself a plugin. The thing that puzzles me is this sudden decision that bbPress MUST be a plugin. Why not polish up and release 1.1 and 1.2, 1.3, etc first an then reevaluate? Why a final roadmap decision right now?

@grassrootspa I agree, but I think he made the decision to bring back some life in bbpress. But that’s just speculation though. I’ll ask about it in the meet tomorrow that’s for sure.

@ Hard Seat Sleeper

did you get any further with the Sandbox theme for bbpress? Could be really useful :)

it would be amazing to have an equivalent of the P2 theme (that I see you’re running on your blog) for bbpress too. Very clean design, easy to mod, lightweight etc

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar