Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Reply order wrong, even after recalulate position repair is run

• ewd910
    Participant

@ewd910

Hi, I’m having a strange problem where the order of replies is mostly right, but in a majority of the threads there is a recent reply or two that appear in the middle of the thread. Particularly affected are question / answer type threads where there are only two posts, but the order is flipped. I ran the “recalculate position of each reply in each topic” tool, but it didn’t seem to help. I have about 50,000 posts in my forum, does this need to be run multiple times? I worry about doing so because of the overhead.
    For additional background, this was a drupal 7 forum that was imported over to bbpress 2 weeks ago, but the affected replies are from both before and after the import.

Using the latest versions of both wordpress and bbpress.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

you will probably need to look at the posts in phpmyadmin, the ‘menu_order’ parameter determines what order replies are shown in, you might need to manually edit to correct

ewd910
    Participant

@ewd910

The menu order is correct, but the posts are not displaying according to that menu order, apparently

Robin W

@robin-w

hmmm…are you using any other bbpress related plugins?

ewd910
    Participant

@ewd910

GD bbPress tools (only for quotes), Image upload for bbpress pro, and bbp private groups, nowhere have I modified reply orders

Robin W

@robin-w

do you have a link to an example?

ewd910
    Participant

@ewd910

I’ve emailed you a link, I’d prefer not to post the site publicly. Do you know where in the template / plugin the replies are taken from the database and looped through to create the thread?

Robin W

@robin-w

\includes\replies\template.php

line 127

function bbp_has_replies

but be aware -lots of plugins filter this.

it could be a theme or plugin issue

Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwenty, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

If you cannot do this to your site (say because it is live) then use the ‘troubleshooting’ features of this plugin to let you test without affecting other users

Health Check & Troubleshooting

Then come back

ewd910
    Participant

@ewd910

I was able to figure out that it had to do with reply threading not being properly imported, which may have had to do with the fact that reply threads weren’t enabled on the bbPress end at the time of import. So the newest reply would show up in the middle of the thread, because all of the replies that after that one were I guess orphaned replies to previous ones.
    I was able to solve this by manually editing each of the replies and setting its parent. I think that threads that began after the import, as well as threads that have not been replied to since the import won’t be affected, only the ones that were active before and after. So I’ll monitor the forums and fix the reply hierarchy of any resurrected threads

Robin W

@robin-w

great – thanks for the update – hope all goes ok from now on 🙂

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar