Categories
Search
Bottom

Removing avatars from topic list view

• bcrider
    Participant

@bcrider

Hello,

I would like to remove or reduce the size the Topic starter’s avatar from the forum topic view index pages.

I’ve tried to add screenshots but every time I do this thread disappears?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• bcrider
    Participant

@bcrider

bcrider
    Participant

@bcrider

and this is how I would like it to look, notice how it just says “started by” and does not show the avatar.
    http://splitboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/no-avatars.png

bcrider
    Participant

@bcrider

I’d also like to know how to make the avatar smaller like on the pages here
    http://splitboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/small-avatars.png

Thanks!

Robkk

@robkk

well it looks nice how it is already but thats my opinion.

but if you really want the default bbPress look , i think all you have to do is copy loop-single-topic.php from the bbPress plugin templates and let it overwrite the exact file in your child themes bbpress folder.

i suggest you test it out and make sure it works well in a local development area on your CPU.

https://codex.bbpress.org/creating-a-test-site/

bcrider
    Participant

@bcrider

Hello,

I’m still trying to get a solution for this.

Is it a secret or something? It seems like it should be a pretty easy and common request to be able to remove or modify the size of user avatars.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks!

Robkk

@robkk

Is it a secret or something?

no i pretty much told you that its might be just switching the loop-single-topic.php file in your child theme with the original bbpress plugin version if you wanted the smaller avatars.

if it still looked weird the rest would’ve been just fixing a couple of lines of CSS

to completely remove them you would need to hand me a link to your site and I’ll give you a little CSS which will allow you to remove them.

you can also just remove the avatars with PHP

but just adding this code should work on an original bbPress loop-single-topic template.

.avatar-14 { display: none !important; }

bcrider
    Participant

@bcrider

Thanks Robkk

I’ve typed a reply to you and submitted it but bbpress isn’t displaying it. If I try again it tells me I’ve already submitting that comment but it isn’t showing up?? Is this a bbpress bug or is my comment awaiting approval or something? Is there a limit to adding links in the post? I had 3.

I sure would love to share my comment regarding your last suggestion.

bcrider
    Participant

@bcrider

Thanks again Robkk

I was able to successfully replace the loop-single-topic.php file in my theme with the stock bbpress version and voila, large avatars are removed as I desired and they’ve been replaced with the stock smaller ones. Awesome!

Searching the support forums here I was also able to find this code and add it to my Custom Code section which allowed be to play with the size of the avatar too. Awesome again!

.bbp-body .bbp-topic-title img.avatar,
    .bbp-body .bbp-topic-freshness img.avatar,
    .bbp-template-notice img.avatar,
    .bpp-author-avatar img.avatar {
    width: 24px;
    }

I think one of the last pieces I need to fix before converting my phpbb3 forum to bbpress is adjusting the padding on the Forum list and Topic list pages.

http://splitboard.com/talk2/

The padding is much larger than I desire, I’d like the padding to be as minimal as possible which will allow for more content on the screen without scrolling.

Can you please help me adjust the padding to be closer to the stock bbpress styling, like here?

As you can see, the topics are much narrower.

Thanks!

Let me know if there’s already a topic on adjusting the padding or if I should start a new thread.

bcrider
    Participant

@bcrider

strange, there must be a limit to how many links are included in a post?

Robkk

@robkk

I’ve typed a reply to you and submitted it but bbpress isn’t displaying it. If I try again it tells me I’ve already submitting that comment but it isn’t showing up?? Is this a bbpress bug or is my comment awaiting approval or something? Is there a limit to adding links in the post? I had 3.

no its not a bug its a spam prevention measure since the spam attack only 2 links can be posted now.

if you need to link us with more than 3 just post the url without the http://

i can just highlight and google search it.

this is for the padding.

#bbpress-forums li.bbp-body ul.forum, 
    #bbpress-forums li.bbp-body ul.topic {
    overflow: hidden;
    padding: 8px;
    }

the tiny avatar CSS is ok but just so you know if it was any bigger the css will make the image distort and look blurry.

you can change the avatar size in the templates if you go to the loop-single-topic.php file and find something similar to 'size' => 14 i think in your case it would be 16 maybe

and change that number to 24

you should also do this to the loop-single-forum.php file too.

also add this additional CSS so you can remove the voice count number making everything awkward

.bbp-body li.bbp-topic-voice-count {
    display:none;
    }

to remove it in the templates go to loop-single-topic.php

and remove this

<li class="bbp-topic-voice-count"><?php bbp_topic_voice_count(); ?></li>

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar