Categories
Search
Bottom

remove columns

• iambob
    Participant

@iambob

Greetings,

I’ve got a unique request … would like to “remove” the columns which show ‘Topics’, ‘Posts’, and ‘Freshness’ from each Forum list, and likewise ‘Voices’, ‘Posts’ and ‘Freshness’ from the list of each Topic section.

Not being a coder, I’ve managed to remove the Topic column header titles by commenting out the appropriate lines in the (e.g.) loop-topics.php … and I’m guessing functions.php is where the columns themselves can be ‘stopped’ (?), but many trial-&-error attempts have so far been unsuccessful.

A little help would be greatly appreciated!
    Bob

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Your trial and error is 100% spot on for what you should be doing 🙂

That said you want to make a copy of the bbPress templates so your hard work isn’t overridden when you update bbPress, how to do this is here https://codex.bbpress.org/theme-compatibility/

Everything you need to do to achieve your end goal is in these templates, you don’t need to go looking elsewhere to change things.

Basically all the changes you need to make are to the loop-xxxx.php templates, primarily loop-forums.php, loop-single-forum.php, loop-topics.php, loop-single-topic.php, loop-replies.php, loop-single-reply.php and later the loop-search.php templates.

In the ‘loop-xxxx.php’ remove the headers as you’ve already done in ‘loop-topics.php’ and in the ‘loop-single-xxx.php’ remove the columns.

iambob
    Participant

@iambob

Ahh, so close … Thank you Stephen! The appearance of data in the columns now absent.

Next trick that yet evades my efforts and understanding is to have any long (> 55 characters) Forum or Topic titles (and/or any description of either), extend the full width across the defined space these columns (still) occupy, rather than wrap ‘half-way’ across. Is this a simple ‘width’ change within bbpress.css (and/or other files)?

With this change, the appearance (of forums & titles) would better fill the real estate, as Replies do, especially on a smartphone.

Much obliged,
    Bob

Cool… Yes that would all be CSS changes rather than template changes and are heavily dependant on the styles your current theme is already using as to the end result look and feel.

iambob
    Participant

@iambob

Huzzah! Found the lines and made them = 100% … got the look I was after! Mucho gracias, Stephen!

carterlongbeach
    Participant

@carterlongbeach

Hi.
    I’m also trying to remove the Freshness/Voices/Topics columns in the forums. I’ve mostly figured out how to remove the column headers and the text in the columns (as per the conversation above), but the empty columns are still there.

How can I completely remove the columns so that the forum and topic titles can fill in the space to the right?

I am looking at forums.php and see something about columns but, not being a programmer, am afraid to mess with it. Or is in in a CSS file?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

carterlongbeach
    Participant

@carterlongbeach

Ok, I think I answered my own question.

In bbpress.css I changed the percentages in rows 134, 142, and 149. Seems to be working.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar