Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Reliable bbPress Hosting?

• The 2 key issues are server uptime and email reliability.

In the short 4 months that my forum has been running, I’ve had so many incidences of users registering 2 usernames. I’ve come to learn that the 2nd one is out of frustration that the email containing the password did not arrive.

This weekend, I have had no outbound email and sick of spending money on AdWords to bring in people that can’t sign up.

Apart from the registration email, I am using both Auto Favorite & Post Notification plugins. Therefore, reliable email is very important to maintain posting activity.

I’ve read alot about concerns that bbPress isn’t sending email. After extensive testing and in my situation, the problem is with the host.

I’m looking to avoid dedicated hosting at this time because my day job is funding this venture already. Can anyone recommend a hosting service that offers good reliability in both uptime and email?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I use http://www.1and1.com and have for the past 4 years or so, since their 3-year free preview began. You will find lots of negative things online about 1&1 if you look around, but honestly, I haven’t had any major issues with them. I did have a problem at one point with the box they had me on being overloaded, and it took some work to convince them that the problem was some other site dragging the whole box down, but since they moved that site (or my account, I’m not sure which) things have been great. Convincing support to escalate a ticket is sometimes difficult, but if you know what you’re talking about, they do it. They always follow up via email as well. I have called for things and been on hold, but I don’t know of a hosting company out there where that won’t happen occasionally. Thankfully, I haven’t had to call them much in 4 years.

They have been rock solid reliable for me, and I have never had a problem with email delivery. MySQL, Perl, PHP4 and 5 all included on a shared Linux server.

I also have two root servers with them which I’m entirely happy with.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Sending email to hotmail and aol accounts is impossible from any host that you can’t setup a proper rDNS and more importantly SPF.

SPF is critical (only gmail seems immune – thanks google, whew). If hotmail doesn’t see SPF or doesn’t like it, you’re screwed. Microsoft also caches the SPF results so if you change it, you have to write a support message to them and wait a week until someone sees it.

As far as host reliability, here’s my strange take on it over the years: you’ll never find a large host that you’ll be happy with. They all have issues. If someone thinks their large host is perfect they either just have been lucky or not with them long enough. Large hosts are constantly changing employees so customer service quality varies tremendously. And the more you need customer service on any host, the more you are in trouble.

For bbpress (and wordpress) make sure you find a host with locally attached storage to the server and not NFS like Dreamhost which makes file access very slow. There’s no caching module like wp-cache for bbpress so file access is even more critical.

The two first big questions I always ask are: what kind of hardware is my server running on and how many neighbors will I have. Backup quality is probably the next question. Everything else is either hype or irrelevant IMHO. You might also ask if the host is within their own datacenter and can literally reach out and touch their own hardware if they need to replace a hard drive or if they are at the mercy of yet another third party’s technical support to do it for them.

If you can afford it, get your own VPS with a low number of neighbors on the same node. But that’s definitely more expensive than shared hosting so you have to be willing to pay for it. At least with VPS you can migrate the entire setup within the same host fairly easily if your neighbors turn out to be abusive.

Thank you so much for replying and posting such valuable information.

You’ll be pleased to know that I followed your tips and got a local hosting company (in Australia) that are just a phone call away without having to listen to Santana while on hold for 40 minutes.

The transfer went smoothly and the DNS propogated in like 5 hours. It all went pretty good.

Before the migration, my site had been without email for 4 days because the old host (IX Webhosting) was so fucking useless. I am pleased to report that the site is generating as much email as a spammers computer.

Thank you again

Olaf Lederer
    Participant

@finalwebsites

Best wordpress hosting I have ever seen: webfaction.com

must be good for bbpress too :)

I have been using BlazeForce Web Hosting

for my bbPress forums. They actually offer helpful support and I needed plenty of it.

JC

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar