Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Registration email not working (server email ok. spam checked)

• climbingturtle
    Participant

@climbingturtle

Really having a hard time with Registration emails. I’ve spent most of the weekend getting nowhere.

WordPress 4.7.1
    bbPress 2.5.12
    Theme bbPress (Twenty Ten)Version: 1.4.1

Emails are working from the same wordpress installation. I have the “Check Email” plug-in installed, and use to confirm that emails are working fine.

When a user registers, the user is created, but the email never seems to get out.

Any help or troubleshooting advice is sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

NOTE: A topic by this name seems to exist (https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/registration-email-not-being-sent-new-issue/page/2/), but it’s over a year old, seems to deal with people whose servers are blocking email, and makes references to files that no longer exist in the plugin (bb-includes/pluggable.php).

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Quick one on your NOTE: Yes that was a previous version of the plugin that no longer exists.

user creation is a wordpress thing – bbpress is not involved. It only allocates the default role on first login.

Would be worth you googling ‘wordpress register email not working’, but it can be a host thing, and is worth talking to your host provider about.

climbingturtle
    Participant

@climbingturtle

Thank you, robin. I’ll post results here.

Robin W

@robin-w

Thanks, do post here, as someone coming along after you may well be helped by your solution

climbingturtle
    Participant

@climbingturtle

1. I’ve confirmed this is a wider issue with ALL wordpress registrations. It is not a BBpress issue.

IF SOMEONE ELSE is having trouble with registration emails, you should test general WordPress user registrations:

– make sure “Anyone can register” is checked in Settings/General
    – go to yourwebsite.com/wp-admin
    – click register
    – see if you get the registration email.

2. There’s a discussion from three months ago (~October 2016) about Godaddy blocking WordPress registration emails b/c they think they are spam. https://wordpress.org/support/topic/godaddy-internet-community-ib212-filtering-wordpress-registration-emails-as-spam/

3. There’s a nifty plug-in to check email from your site called “Check Email”. I’m able to get emails sent from this plug in. So it seems likely that I may also be a victim of registration emails being blocked as spam.

I will post more results as I get them.

climbingturtle
    Participant

@climbingturtle

Just had a very long talk with Godaddy. Registration emails are simply not being generated. Other emails work. Registration emails do not. May have to re-install WordPress.

climbingturtle
    Participant

@climbingturtle

As strange as it sounds, Registration emails only fail when the site is set to a different language. I can switch the language back and forth and get those emails to work/fail.

Will take this opportunity to try putting WP in debug mode and learn how that stuff works.

Robin W

@robin-w

interesting – do please let us know how you get on

climbingturtle
    Participant

@climbingturtle

FYI – Never resolved it. Moved on with life. 🙁

Caprilli
    Participant

@caprilli

I have the same thing.

I just don’t think this bbPress / BuddyPress stuff integrates well enough to be let loose on an active site with 5,000 daily visitors.

It’s a developer tool and starting point. A developer would reap the fees of getting it all to work well, while single users of WordPress just have the misery.

It is shocking how bad this forum aspect of WordPress is. Amazing that consumers put up with it, really.

Robin W

@robin-w

It is shocking how bad this forum aspect of WordPress is Amazing that consumers put up with it, really.

oh how I agree that something that has taken a lot of people a lot of time to write for free, is maintained for free, and supported for free, and has cost you nothing doesn’t do what you want. Absolutely disgusting and shouldn’t be allowed. Of course you could always crack the code open and help improve it, or perhaps it is easier to just easier to expect someone else to do that for you and just complain when it doesn’t.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar