Categories
Search
Bottom

Problem with bbpress and wp security

• Martijn
    Participant

@ximie90

Hi,

We are using BBpress for user registration and forums we will be activating in the near future on our website. We are also using the All In One WP Security Plugin, in here is a option to rename the login page, so directly going to mysite.com/wp-admin should not work and should be mysite.com/*newadmin*

However this did not work initially, we had to log in on the /*newadmin* but still had to go to /wp-admin to gain access to the dashboard.

We disabled all other active plugins, and the problem was solved, after testing it showed that once BBpress plugin was disabled the feature worked as intended, loggin into /*newadmin* would get me instantly into the dashboard.

I’ve also requested help on their end, but since 2 plugins are involved, Do you guys have any suggestions as to what might cause this & what might solve this issue?

Any help or suggestions would be great. We just want to rename the admin part, so we are not bound to the wp-security option, just seemed easy.

Heres my initial post on wordpress.org support for all in one wp security:
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/renaming-the-login-cant-enter-with-the-url?replies=4#post-7342568

We are using a fully up to date version of WP & all plugins.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

Okay I just renamed the login page using the AIO security and firewall plugin. I have bbPress enabled but do not see an issue.

You said this on the topic you linked to.

We want users to be able to register and comment etc. but we want to keep them out of the wp-dashboard completely. So we have a alternate profile page etc. and are denying access for all nor administrator & editor users. I don’t know if this might have an effect on these things.

What are you using to lock them out of the dashboard?

Martijn
    Participant

@ximie90

Remove Dashboard Access plugin.

Robkk

@robkk

@ximie90

do you know that the default WordPress login page is yoursite.com/wp-login.php and the direct link to the WordPress backend (Administration area) is yoursite.com/wp-admin?

So you renamed wp-login.php to newadmin. And after you login you are redirected to the dashboard at wp-admin.

I am starting to think this is not really an issue.

I also did test the dashboard access plugin and didn’t really see an issue from it either. Maybe the redirect url you inputted in that plugin may be causing an issue?? I am not sure.

Martijn
    Participant

@ximie90

Well, the issue is that when I’m using the BBpress plugin, when I log in on mysite.com/*newadmin*
    It redirects me to the homepage. Upon returning to the same link it requires me to fill in my login again.
    Only after I logged in, I can go to /wp-admin to get into the Dashboard.

This issue is not happening when the BBpress plugin is inactive.

No, we don’t know is also an answer. Then we can look for an alternate solution to what we want.

Robkk

@robkk

Oh I know what you are talking about know. The having to login again threw me off a bit. I think you were logged in, but just didnt redirect to wp-admin. You could of easily from the WordPress Toolbar went to the admin area from there.

When you log into your site you are redirected to the homepage, but you want to be redirected to the dashboard.

There is something in bbPress that might be causing redirecting users to the homepage, like for the bbPress login form.

This can be very easily fixed by installing Peters Login Redirect plugin. Install it, configure who/what roles you want to be redirected to wp-admin.

If you do not need a plugin I think a small function could easily fix the issue also.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar