Categories
Search
Bottom

Private forum

• weborchard
    Participant

@weborchard

Hi,

If I create a private forum is it not possible to only invite certain users for said private forum? Users would still have access to other forums and topics except for those that they have to be individually invited too?

Thanks

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Emma_Jones
    Participant

@emma_jones

Hi,

This might be helpful:

Forum visibility:
    Public – Anyone can see these forums
    Private – Only logged in registered users with a forum role can see these forums
    Hidden: Only Moderators/keymasters can see these forums

This is from the step by step guide:

Step by step guide to setting up a bbPress forum – Part 1

weborchard
    Participant

@weborchard

Thanks Emma,

But what I need is the ability to be selective so if I have two private forums 1 and 2 and I have three users x, y and z I’d only want x and y to see private forum 1 and not 2 and user z to only see private forum 2 and not 1. Is this possible?

Robkk

@robkk

I think you need to use Robin’s Plugin

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-private-groups/

David S
    Participant

@affordablewebsitesdenvercom

Is it possible to restrict new membership somehow?

As a newbie it seems that anyone could register if they simply go to a register page or the WP back-end.

Robin W

@robin-w

depends on what parameters you want to use.

typically either automatic or totally manual – ie disable membership in dashboard>settings>general and create a membership form

David S
    Participant

When you say create a membership form, what do you mean specifically? For example do I create a basic contact form for those who want to join, and then offer to send them their username and password? I’m fine with doing that but my question is that if I do that, and membership is still unchecked in the WP back-end would the user with the new username and password for BBPress still be able to login and use the forums? Wouldn’t they be blocked since memberships would be unchecked as an option?

Robin W

@robin-w

When you say create a membership form, what do you mean specifically? For example do I create a basic contact form for those who want to join, and then offer to send them their username and password?

yes.

When they first log on, they will get the role set up in

dashboard>settings>forums>roles so tick that and set it up for participant.

David S
    Participant

Thank you.

Chad
    Participant

@crcaison

I’ve tried testing this plugin out as I have the same need to provide roles for forum visibility as well. Unfortunately, I seem to be running into various errors. I’m running v5.5.3. The following is an example output:

Notice: Undefined variable: subs_check in /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/bbp-private-groups/includes/meta-box.php on line 296

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/bbp-private-groups/includes/meta-box.php:296) in /var/www/html/wp-admin/post.php on line 231

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/bbp-private-groups/includes/meta-box.php:296) in /var/www/html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1296

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/bbp-private-groups/includes/meta-box.php:296) in /var/www/html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1299

Robin W

@robin-w

and you get this from what actions?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar