Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Plugin Cost Nonsense? Is This WordPress Life?

• aeneas1
    Participant

@aeneas1

no experience with wordpress or bbpress but it looked great so i installed it… next up was an attempt to “import” my phpbb data to bbpress using the dashboard import tool but, sadly, a phpbb install plugin was not among those listed in the dashboard so i had to search the plugins directory… not knowing which one was best, i blindly chose the “CMS2CMS: phpBB to bbPress Forum Convertor” and began the migration process.. well surprise, surprise, shortly after the program began the migration a popup window reared its ugly head asking for $38 in order to complete a full migration… what the f is that all about? so is the wordpress life? wordpress plugin life? plugins are listed with no indication that they cost x amount of dollars until after you install the thing and try to use it? what sort of nonsense is that? how does this practice fly with wordpress? it’s enough to send a prospective wordpress user running in the direction of other alternatives, good grief…

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

so where did you find this plugin? can you give a link to it?

Robkk

@robkk

it’s enough to send a prospective wordpress user running in the direction of other alternatives

bbPress has a forum import tool in Tools > Forums > Import Forums (free and open source code, so any dev can just improve the program how they want then official devs can commit changes or not).

Robin W

@robin-w

@aeneas1 I don’t think that plugin should be hosted on wordpress plugins, and I’ve asked the plugin review team to see if it violates the plugin rules.

There is an import phpbb in the bbpress software – I think you may have seen it

Dashboard>tools>forums and you can select phpbb – did you have an issue with this?

aeneas1
    Participant

@aeneas1

thank you all for the helpful responses… when i fist tried to import data i didn’t notice the manual section, just the pre-installed import icons/tools that didn’t include phpbb… anyway i went through the process after installing 2.6 and all went pretty well except that user names didn’t seem to make it, all of the posts show “anonymous” as the poster, would really like to figure out how to restore the actual username… also, avatars didn’t make it over either but that limitation was noted in the tutorial, so i expected it… so how do folks go about restoring user avatars? and. more importantly, how do you get user names to appear instead of anonymous”? the repair feature didn’t solve this…

Robin W

@robin-w

@netweb – can you help here?

aeneas1
    Participant

@aeneas1

i don’t understand the reply “can you help here”?

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry – I was asking another moderator (netweb) whose is an expert in forum imports for help

aeneas1
    Participant

@aeneas1

thanks robin… yes i would really like to sort this thing out, to have my phpbb usernames associated with their posts, the posts that were imported using bbpress, instead of “anonymous” showing as the poster for every single post… in fact i can’t find any evidence that usernames were transferred at all, pretty disappointing…

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar