Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

phpBB Transition Question

• OscarGuy
    Participant

@oscarguy

If I use the bbPress import tool to import the database of an existing phpBB board, will it pull over the users and their passwords or will it require new usernames and passwords for everyone who signs up? I’m concerned that old posts won’t be attributable to their original posters.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

OscarGuy
    Participant

@oscarguy

Thanks for that. I didn’t see that FAQ before. Here are some questions not specified here:

Is there then a way to merge users? So that if someone registered on the WordPress site and separately on the forums that afterwards they can be combined?

We have a members-only section for our forums. I understand these forums will be made public and we would need to hide them, but is there a way to set up users that have access only to certain sections while the general public has access to everything else? I don’t want to assign all of our members the ability to edit content on the site, just have access to a members only forum.

Will this create two separate MySQL databases? Will the old phpBB still be there and operational? Can the two be used simultaneously and will content posted in one cross-post to the other once merged to bbpress?

Robkk

@robkk

Is there then a way to merge users? So that if someone registered on the WordPress site and separately on the forums that afterwards they can be combined?

You can delete a user then attribute their content to another user

We have a members-only section for our forums. I understand these forums will be made public and we would need to hide them, but is there a way to set up users that have access only to certain sections while the general public has access to everything else? I don’t want to assign all of our members the ability to edit content on the site, just have access to a members only forum.

There are a couple of membership plugins that are compatible with bbPress, you could also use the bbPress private groups plugin.

Will this create two separate MySQL databases? Will the old phpBB still be there and operational? Can the two be used simultaneously and will content posted in one cross-post to the other once merged to bbpress?

Your phpbb data will be imported into the WordPress database where bbPress would usually be. Cross posting I’m not sure. You should test this out on a test site to make sure everything is working okay and to your expectations.

OscarGuy
    Participant

@oscarguy

Thanks for your input. Do I find the membership plugins on the regular wordpress site or here on the bbpress site?

Robkk

@robkk

the reply above me is spam do not worry about that.

@oscarguy

Thanks for your input. Do I find the membership plugins on the regular wordpress site or here on the bbpress site?

I guess either one really , it is just the same data. Search “bbpress membership”

you would probably get

Paid Memberships Pro
    s2Member
    bbPress extension for membermouse
    Premium membership with Bitcoin
    Restrict Content Pro – bbPress

There are probably more but might require some searching on google , you should test them out on a test site before installing on a production site.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar