Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Pagination issue when threaded replies are enabled

• Lead As Love
    Participant

@optimystic13

Hi I am using BB Press 2.5.3 and Buddypress 1.9.2 and theme BuddyBoss 3.4.2.

I am having a nightmare of a problem in my bbpress forums. I basically have to choose between pagination and threaded replies and I absolutely need both. When threaded replies are enabled there is no pagination and some of my forums have thousands of posts that try to load all at once. If I disable threaded replies the pagination works but then there is no threading which makes for a very disorganized forum.

Can somebody please address this issue. I have tried this hack provided in the bbpress forum HERE and it did not work.

Thanks
    Kim

SEE http://devwork.thinkwithyourheart.com/ if you want to view the site as our main site is in maintenance mode.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

Hello I have the exact same problem (posted this topic https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/pagination-with-threaded-replies/ yesterday too, didn’t see yours I think I am blind… lol)

If you find a workaround please let us know ^^
    And if someone has an idea we’ll be really grateful πŸ™‚

thank you

Lead As Love
    Participant

@optimystic13

Is it typical for BB Press to either not respond or take almost 4 days? Really need support here- threaded/nested replies are such a mess.

Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

I have never seen any response from the devs/leaders of the bbpress team themselves, seems only volunteers (and thank you very much to them) are answering this forum. I can understand that, because they already created this plugin in their spare time, are not paid or anything, so if they had to answer here it would be a lot of more work… that is what I think.

I think the threaded/nested replies included in bbpress are working the way it should, it is not a bug, it is just the way they wanted it to be it seems.

The only way to fix this problem is to find someone skilled enough to code /and/or hack the current code to change the way nested replies are working and add pagination to it.
    I am trying to do it, but can’t figured it out yet… I am not a developper at all, so there is a lot of things I don’t understand… :/

Another solution would be to update the bbPress Threaded Replies plugin https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/bbpress-threaded-replies to make it work with the new bbpress version (and disable the integrated system in bbpress…) but I don’t know how to do that either…

Hope we’ll find a fix soon, if someone has an idea we’ll be really grateful πŸ™‚
    Thank you,
    Dorem

Lead As Love
    Participant

@optimystic13

@doremdou I believe it is a bug because before buddypress AND bbpress upgraded about 4-6 months ago (i don’t remember) it was working great. Nested replies AND pagination were both displayed and there was no issue with the load time.

I would so much rather pay for bbpress as a plugin in order to get the support we need than to have it free and be lost and without help πŸ™

Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

Yes I understand, I would prefer to use threaded replies with pagination too but just now we can’t… 500 replies on a single page is not possible…

but I continue to think it was done in purpose looking at the bbpress codex:
    https://codex.bbpress.org/forum-settings/

Reply Threading
    This will allow your users to reply to specific replies, providing context to the discussion in a β€˜threaded’ view. This will also remove topic pagination so the topic and all replies will only be a single page.

Let’s just hope someone will see our post and help us… :/

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

This is the way this feature is currently designed. Hierarchical pagination is quite challenging to tackle; WordPress provides some help with this, but it wasn’t built into our first pass, and no work has gone into improving it since.

I have never seen any response from the devs/leaders of the bbpress team themselves, seems only volunteers

I have a few thousand replies that hopefully help prove otherwise, and sorry that your experience so far hasn’t lived up to that. Know that there’s a staff of about 12 of us that volunteer our time to both develop the software, write the documentation, and moderate the forums, and though we don’t hit every topic, we try to help out where we can.

Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

Hi @johnjamesjacoby no problem that is what I thought. We just need to find someone to help us do it then… or I think I will just do without threaded replies seems the better way ^^

But sorry for the misunderstanding I did not want to criticize you or your team as I said I could understand that you were not answering (which is not true then ^^) because you were doing everything on your spare time.
    Sorry I hope my bad english was not misunderstood ^^

keep up the good work @johnjamesjacoby and your team, thanks for everything πŸ™‚

Let’s move on without it @optimystic13 , seems the faster way (or you could pay a developper to do the change for you, but I am not sure we have the right to talk about that here…) ^^

Have a nice day!

Lead As Love
    Participant

@optimystic13

Hi @johnjamesjacoby . Would like to know why this was working with both pagination AND threaded replies before the most recent bbpress upgrade? We got spoiled by the awesome functionality. We had threading working and also pagination. Why did this change?

Also @johnjamesjacoby When I disable threading and allow pagination I have to go to the very last page of the topic to get the latest reply. This was also something I used to be able to control. Is there a way to get the most recent responses on the first page?

svetoslavd79
    Participant

@svetoslavd79

Hi guys,

I went trough all suggestions and finally came up with a solid solution. You can read all about it here: https://wpup.co/bbpress-threaded-nested-replies-with-paging/

Hope, I was able to help someone.

roma77
    Participant

@roma77

Good solution svetoslavd79! But in Step 2 I change ‘format’ => ‘page/%#%’, on ‘format’ => ‘/page/%#%’

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar