Categories
Search
Bottom

Only allow admins / editors to edit topic tags

• tkott
    Participant

@tkott

Hi folks,

I have a small forum that I use for some support on plugins for various open source projects. I currently allow anonymous users to post topics and replies, but protect the forum with Akismet and the bbPress recaptcha plugin. This seems to take care of many spurious spam posts. However, I seem to have an extremely large amount of topic tags that are spam. I have several questions about that:

1. Can topic tags be created without a topic creation or reply or reply edit?
    2. Can topic tags be turned off for anonymous users? (I don’t believe so, but would love to know otherwise)
    3. Which files do I have to edit to only allow editing of topic tags by registered users and/or admins?

Thanks,

Tomek

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

+1

Good question i would like to know also.

I doubt somebody has figured it out because i see this happening al the time at bbPress and WordPress forums.
    http://i50.tinypic.com/2jdgbiu.png

For now:
    Add the tagged words that clearly have nothing to do with your support-forum like Abercrombie, NBA, Air Jordan and stuff like that to the WordPress settings blacklist.

> Can topic tags be created without a topic creation or reply or reply
    > edit?

No, I dont believe so. Try going to /forums/topic-tag/whatevertag/edit/ on yoir site whilst logged out and check what an anonymous user can perform on that ‘whatevertag’

> Can topic tags be turned off for anonymous users? (I don’t believe so,
    > but would love to know otherwise)

You are correct ‘Topic Tags’ can only be enabled/disabled site wide and not for specific user roles.

> Which files do I have to edit to only allow editing of topic tags by
    > registered users and/or admins?

I’m not sure on the finer points of this though for a start have a look at this ticket https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1806 and the changesets 4098 & 4099. This ticket was for the changes to enable/disable ‘Topic Tags’ sitewide so hopefully that can give some more pointers on where and what to look for.

tkott
    Participant

@tkott

@shmoo, @netweb,

Thanks for the replies. I’ll take a look at that ticket to get an idea of where the code is, that’s going to be really helpful.

Tomek

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar