Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

One user can leave new topics but NOT reply

• LNAngel
    Participant

@lnangel

Hi – I’ve searched the forums and found bits and pieces that apply but not my full scenario.

I have one user in my forums who contacted me saying she cannot leave replies. I have her credentials. I can leave a new topic as her with no issue, but I cannot leave a reply logged in as her, either.

No one else is having this issue, and I, as Admin, do no have this issue.

We’ve tried clearing her cache and cookies (didn’t work), trying her husband’s device (didn’t work) and tried incognito (DID work two times, now does not).

What could be the issue?

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

can you check if it is being logged as spam

Akismet

If the service catches a topic that is spam, you will see it in the WordPress backend in the topics section under spam, and the same process for replies.

LNAngel
    Participant

@lnangel

Thanks, Robin, but no, they aren’t in Spam.

LNAngel
    Participant

@lnangel

Wanted to clarify in my original post, that she’s had issues for 2-3 weeks. As mentioned, opening in incognito was the only thing that worked for awhile, but now, that doesn’t work either.

LNAngel
    Participant

@lnangel

Hi guys, hoping now that’s it’s a new week might be able to get this resolved. Any other ideas?

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, can as a test you try disabling Askimet and seeing if that fixes – I am trying to work out where the problem is occurring.

Try also having the user flush/clean their browser cache.

You can also test things by creating a test user yourself and making sure everything works as expected

LNAngel
    Participant

@lnangel

I did have the user clear her cache, and that didn’t work.

Interestingly, she contacted me yesterday to say that everything now works again. Would you assume this is some sort of IP issue?

Robkk

@robkk

@lnangel well for IPs specifically, if you put her IP into the comment blacklist she will be blocked from posting in your forums.

There are also cases where people don’t know that plugins can hook into the comment blacklist with their own custom list, like I have seen issues where a Mojo Marketplace plugin would cause this same error. So if she would use profanity that might be in a custom blacklist for the comment blacklist, she would be blocked.

You can know if it was this, if she sees the error notice listed in the guide.

She could go over the link limit settings in Settings > Disscussion too

From there her actual posts would be set as pending I think.

https://codex.bbpress.org/moderation-and-blacklisting/

Other things could be spam plugins like Akismet that work with bbPress possibly being too aggressive.

LNAngel
    Participant

@lnangel

Me again – same issue but slightly different scenario. The user above DID continue to have the same issues. The only way I was able to remedy it was to create a different WordPress user for her and she hasn’t had problems since.

Today, I got a message from another member. She can leave REPLIES, but cannot leave new topics. She has been in my forums for a year with no issues until now.

I cleared my site’s cache, she cleared her cache. So I did what I did last time – I created a new account for her in WordPress. Different user name, different email address. Under that new User, we STILL cannot get a new topic to post.

I’m at a loss trying to figure out what could possibly be going on – and not sure where to start to did in.

There’s been no profanity; I don’t think it has to do with Akismet.

Robin W

@robin-w

if it is different usernames, suspect it is IP related (her computer address).

Try logging in from your computer with her username and see if that works.

LNAngel
    Participant

@lnangel

It’s not IP related – she hasn’t tried to log in at all with the new account, only me. I, logging in as her with a new account also cannot post a new topic.

I believe this is a bbPress problem. I switched her credentials from “Participant” to “Moderator” and now she has no problems with either account. I don’t want her to have moderator access, however. How do I fix this permissions issue?

katrinah
    Participant

@dbo244596822

Hi there, I had this issue also and it’s still an issue as new members join. I’d love to know a permanent solution. however, I did stumble on a temporary solution which is basically to click on “edit user profile” and then simply click “save” (you don’t need to make any changes), the issue fixes itself simply by re-saving the profile and the member will be able to reply. Again though, this worked for me but it’s a temporary fix because when new members join I’ll have to click “save” for every single member. If you have lots of members this could take hours of manual work. Following this thread, hoping someone knows how to fix this.

Thanks.

LNAngel
    Participant

@lnangel

Curious if the mods have any further feedback? For me, I don’t have the same solve as katrinah does – simply “saving” doesn’t help (in my case, though, this user can reply but CANNOT post). However, when I made her a moderator she can now post.

All of my users are automatically assigned to be a Participant upon signup – so I’m unclear why for this use she randomly wasn’t able to post and it was only remedied by altering her permissions.

Robin W

@robin-w

all I can suggest is that you list everything about your site

php version
    wordpress version
    bbpress version
    theme
    all plugins

and if someone else has then issue, then maybe we can see some commonality.

LNAngel
    Participant

@lnangel

Hi, just to follow up (as this issue is the bane of my existence), I have yet another user who this time, no matter what permissions she has, can no longer leave new posts, but CAN leave a reply.

I’m completely at a loss for what’s getting hung up here – and it’s always my more active users (which makes me think it’s some caching issue, but all caches have been cleared, we’ve tried incognito, etc.)…and I would think they wouldn’t be able to post PERIOD, not be able to post replies but no posts.

If any genius occurred to the bbPress team in the past few months, please let me know.

I know you mentioned listing out everything – everything is 100% up to date. I could definitely list all of my plugins but I have quite a few…and I would think if a plugin was interfering it would be affecting ALL users, no?

Robin W

@robin-w

and I would think if a plugin was interfering it would be affecting ALL users, no?

it could be a setting or combination of settings are causing it – it has a cause which once the circumstances are present persists for that user.

Robin W

@robin-w

did/does Katrinah’s fix do anything for you?

LNAngel
    Participant

@lnangel

Sadly, no, Katrinah’s fix didn’t work for me.

Robin W

@robin-w

I have yet another user who this time, no matter what permissions she has, can no longer leave new posts, but CAN leave a reply.

ok, presume you can log in as her and replicate – yes ?

LNAngel
    Participant

@lnangel

Yep, exactly!

Robin W

@robin-w

can you contact me via the contact on my website

http://www.rewweb.co.uk

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar