Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Oh Brother…

• markf1
    Participant

@markf1

I have a custom theme site, child theme of twentytwelve. The links for the various forums and topics do not seem to be pointing to the correct places (individual forum, topic).
    http://www.telluridemountainclub.org/mtn-club-forums/

When I click on anyone of the forums I get the “Oh Brother! No forums were found here.” message
    When I click on anyone of the topics I get the same “Oh Brother! No forums were found here.” message. I pretty sure that I have configured something incorrectly.

In the theme folder I have put the bbPress.php. Below is the code in that file. Does my problem lie with the bbPress code that I used in this file?

<?php

/**
    * bbPress - Forum Archive
    * @package bbPress
    * @subpackage Theme
    */

get_header(); ?>

<div id="p7CCM_3" class="p7CCM01 p7ccm01-fixed-960">
    <div class="p7ccm01-content-row p7ccm01-trans p7ccm01-dyn-img p7ccm-row">
    <div id="mtn-main-column-page01" class="p7ccm01-2col-auto-column1 p7ccm-col">
    <div class="p7ccm01-2col-auto-column1-cnt p7ccm01-content p7ehc-1">

<?php do_action( 'bbp_before_main_content' ); ?>

<?php do_action( 'bbp_template_notices' ); ?>

<div id="forum-front" class="bbp-forum-front">

<div class="entry-content">

<?php bbp_get_template_part( 'content', 'archive-forum' ); ?>

</div>
    </div><!-- #forum-front -->

<?php do_action( 'bbp_after_main_content' ); ?>
    </div>
    </div>
    <?php get_sidebar(); ?>
    <?php get_footer(); ?>

Any suggestions for getting this to work will be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

try

dashboard>settings>permalinks

and just click save without changing anything

This refreshes the permalinks and frequently fixes this issue

markf1
    Participant

@markf1

thank you for your reply Robin.

I tried what you suggested but it did not fix the problem. Do you have any other trouble shooting advice?

I need to get this working.

I originally had set this up over 1 year ago. The site owners wanted to have the forum but didn’t want to let anyone register or join. The forums and topics I put in worked correctly. I think that I had added the forum to the site nav menu as a category versus a page. Now that they want to enable the registration and etc I have followed the bbPress docs and made a page for the forum and I’m using that in the site nav menu.

I have tried making some new forums and topics (test 4) with this new config but neither the older forums/topics or the new test forums/topics seem to have the links working correctly. Not sure if this is relevant or any help in figuring this out.

thank you.

Thanks

Robin W

@robin-w

can you go into

Dashboard>forums>all forums and then edit Mountain Club Suggestions

can you confirm that the permalink under the heading is

Mountain Club Suggestions

markf1
    Participant

@markf1

Hi Robin,

I followed your instructions. Below is what is displayed as the permalink under the heading for edit> Mountain Club Suggestions.

Permalink: http://www.telluridemountainclub.org/mtn-club-forums/forum/membership-2/

Thanks for your help!

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, lets eliminate plugins and themes as the issue

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

Then come back

markf1
    Participant

@markf1

Robin,

I deactivated all the Plug-Ins except bbPress. No change, problem remains.

I switched to TwentyTwelcve theme and is whacked out the site but.. the forum links do seem to work.

So it appears that my child theme is somehow causing this. Maybe link styling/css? Or maybe something in the functions.php?

I’m unsure of how to trouble shoot this. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks!

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, what is the main theme and how much have you changed in the child theme?

markf1
    Participant

@markf1

The main theme is Twenty Twelve. I have “wrapped” the WP php on each file (page.php, index.php, category.php, etc) with my own structure and styles. Did not change the original WP php in the files.

The only thing in the theme functions.php is a minor function dealing with post thumbnail size.

I have an unsubstantiated feeling this may be having to do with the permalinks or slug settings?

Continued thanks for your help!

Robin W

@robin-w

what are you permalink settings?

markf1
    Participant

@markf1

Dashboard>Setings>Permalinks> Post name radio button is selected. (http://www.telluridemountainclub.org/sample-post/)

Dashboard>Setings>Forums
    Forum Root Slug
    Forum Root – mtn-club-forums
    Forum Prefix – checked
    Forum root should show – Forum Index

Single Forum Slugs
    Forum – forum
    Topic – topic

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, two thoughts

1. if you put your bbpress.php into the twenty twelve parent theme, does it work ?- that will eliminate that file

2. can you create a page and put the shortcode [bbp-forum-index] in it and see how that page works or not

markf1
    Participant

@markf1

Hi robin,

I put my bbPress.php into the Twenty Twelve parent theme, activated the twenty tweleve theme, and the forum links still do not work / problem remains with that config.

I tried the above with also removing the bbPress.php from my child theme. still no joy.

I tried the above with my child theme activated. continued no luck.

I made a page with the short code. links don’t work, problem remains.

Thanks for your continued help!

markf1
    Participant

@markf1

so just to be clear and re-cap.

When I left everything the same, with bbPress.php in my child theme, and the default/unchanged twenty twelve parent theme, then activated the twenty twelve theme – the forum links worked and the problem went away.

Switch back to child theme and problem resumes.

Add bbPress.php to Twenty Twelve theme and then activate Twenty Twelve – problem remains.

thanks for your ongoing help!

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so

twenty twelve theme without bbpress.php works
    twenty twelve theme with bbpress.php doesn’t work
    twenty tweleve child with bbpress.php and twenty twelve parent without bbpress.php doesn’t work
    twenty tweleve child without bbpress.php and twentytwelve parent without bbpress.php doesn’t work

Is that correct? or if not can you test each of the above

Robin W

@robin-w

above edited

markf1
    Participant

@markf1

Hi Robin,
    twenty twelve theme without bbpress.php works – CORRECT
    twenty twelve theme with bbpress.php doesn’t work – CORRECT
    twenty tweleve child with bbpress.php and twenty twelve parent without bbpress.php doesn’t work – CORRECT

twenty tweleve child without bbpress.php and twentytwelve parent without bbpress.php doesn’t work – THIS WORKS!

I had not tried that. I don’t get it. The forum still appears wrapped with all my child theme styling but I don’t have that bbPress.php file customized to be shown as such. Anyway it seems to be working as it should now!

As usual I seem to have made this more complicated than necessary and by removing the bbPress.php from my child theme – voila.

Thank you for all your help!!

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so do you need help to correct the bbpress.php, or are you happy without it?

markf1
    Participant

@markf1

I guess I am happy without having the bbPress.php in my child theme. You can see the cose for my bbPress.php file in one of the earlier posts in this thread.

I would be curious to know what is wrong with it if that is something you can easily identify.

thanks again for your help!

Robkk

@robkk

@markf1

at the very top you posted code for your bbpress.php file

it isnt suppose to have code for the bbpress archive-forum.php file it is suppose to be similar to the themes page.php file nothing else.

maybe you doing the bbpress.php file incorrectly caused the issue.

markf1
    Participant

@markf1

thank you Robkk. I believe you are correct.

Robkk

@robkk

ok so copy page.php and rename the copied version to bbpress.php and make sure its at the root of your theme with the page.php file and single.php file and see if it works.

you can test it out by removing the <?php get_sidebar(); ?> code and see if the sidebar is removed only on bbpress pages and posts.

markf1
    Participant

@markf1

Thank you Robkk,

The bbPress is working perfectly in my child theme without having a bbPress.php file included in the theme at all, so I’m happy with it all now.

I guess I mis understood the codex instructions or more likely was trying to make things more complicated than need be (i specialize in that).

your reply helps me understand how it should be done. thanks!

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar