Categories
Search
Bottom

Not getting forum notifications

• kwelch007
    Participant

@kwelch007

Hello,

I have WordPress 4.2.2 with bbPress 2.5.7, bbPress Enable TinyMCE Visual Tab 1.0.1, and bbPress Notify (No-Spam) 1.8.1 and WP SMTP.

Everything is working fine except for the Email Notifications from the forums. I really need to get this to work. I’ve tried various permissions changes, etc. WordPress itself works fine and when I send test emails, they come through, but I don’t get the auto-notifications.

Can anybody help???

Thanks
    Kendell

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

Does the bbpress notify (no spam) notifcations work??

Does default bbPress forum notifcations work without wp-smtp??

kwelch007
    Participant

@kwelch007

WP SMTP works fine. The bbPress Notify does not work at all, and I have no idea why.

Robkk

@robkk

Do the default bbPress notifications work when you subscribe to a topic or forum??

Test this without the wp-smtp plugin to test just bbPress.

You may need to use this https://wordpress.org/plugins/asyncronous-bbpress-subscriptions/ , but test the default bbPress subscriptions without wp-smtp and this plugin first.

I’m having this same problem, but I have not installed WP-SMTP or bbPress Notify (no spam). The default bbPress subscription and topic reply notifications do nothing. They should be sending email notifications, correct? I get nothing for subscriptions or reply notifications.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Here is the site: http://www.stacknfade.com/forum

Default email notifications for subscriptions and topic replies are not working. Thanks for any help.

Robkk

@robkk

@xianti

Try this plugin and see if it fixes your issue

https://wordpress.org/plugins/asyncronous-bbpress-subscriptions/

Yes! That worked great! Thanks, Robkk.

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

I just discovered that our site is having the exact same problem. All administrators are not getting notifications of new topics or new replies starting 8/5/15. I’ve checked the Forum Setting under Email Notifications and nothing has changed. I have not made any modifications to the site in weeks, other than the usual WP updates, which are automatic now. All plugins are current and there are no other issues. New forum topics and replies are showing up in the forum properly.

However in the dashboard topics, a new topic that was actually written August 6, 2015 at 4:04 pm is indicating that it was written “8 hours, 53 minutes ago.” Thus the dashboard is indicating this topic was not written 8-6-15 but rather would have been written around 5:30 EST this morning, 8-8-15. This is a huge difference of nearly two days! In the forum the topic details shows the correct date and time of August 6, 2015 at 4:04 pm. This was the first new topic after this hiccup. Neither any new topics or replies written since then are coming to our email notifications and all have this disparity of date and time in the dashboard.

In addition, all administrators check off “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” in the forum. Thus everyone usually gets two copies of notification of each new topic and reply. That is not working either. So all administrators are not getting either notification, the forum or the email notifications.

I have an email address for the website via a Bluehost mailbox and I have one email forwarder from that box to my home email client. This includes these notifications. These notifications are arriving in my inbox with the correct date and time! No other administrator gets this particular email. I did not include them in this forwarding email notification because that meant everyone would get 3 copies of each new topic or new reply.

Thus, administrators are not getting notifications, while I am only getting the email forwarded one via Bluehost. This indicates to me that there is now a problem with bbPress notifications, under Settings>Forums>Forum Settings>Email Notifications>Notifications about new topics are sent to. And there is also a problem with the date and time of topics and replies in the database that displays information in the dashboard.

Do I actually need to add another plugin to resolve this??? It’s been working for almost 2 years now without a hitch. In addition the dashboard should reflect the actual date the topic or reply is written, not 2 days after the fact.
    Thank you for any help you can provide.
    Matoca

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

Correction. I wrote this:
    However in the dashboard topics, a new topic that was actually written August 6, 2015 at 4:04 pm is indicating that it was written “8 hours, 53 minutes ago.” Thus the dashboard is indicating this topic was not written 8-6-15 but rather would have been written around 5:30 EST this morning, 8-8-15. This is a huge difference of nearly two days!

This is not indicating when it was written, but instead is indicating “freshness” as replies have been made. My mistake.

Robkk

@robkk

@matoca

If you still have double notifications still, try some troubleshooting first. I think it could be a possible plugin issue, maybe plugins that might do the same thing like maybe BuddyPress Group Email Subscription. I also saw possible issues with wp-cron and duplicate emails, but try the troubleshooting first.

Troubleshooting

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

Robkk,
    Administrators are not getting the notifications that are indicated in the Forum settings for Forum Email Notifications. Nor are getting the “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” in the forum.

Only I, the blog owner, is getting notifications because they are going to the website email address, not to specific User addresses, there is no user with this website email address. User addresses, I assume, are grabbed by bbPress from the user accounts. bbPress must be able to look at the User accounts, see which ones are Administrators and blog owner (which I have checked) and then sends notifications to those user email addresses.

The two methods to notify the administrators is on purpose, so that if one fails they still get notifications. However, both of the methods bbPress uses to send notifications have failed.

I want double notification for the moderators and I don’t mind getting triple notification.

We just want both the bbPress dashboard and the forum notifications to work and they are not.
    my best
    patrice

Robkk

@robkk

@matoca

Okay for some reason I am having trouble getting Forum notifications on my test site to any user except the blog owner like you said, I may have to report a bug or do more testing/discuss with the devs. And I might have also found another bug messing with this too.

The topic subscriptions work well though when I tested them.

Did you try some troubleshooting already to see if there could be another thing causing the issue?? I want to make sure before I report any kind of bug.

Troubleshooting

Just to make sure you are using the latest WordPress and bbPress?
    Did you use the plugin mentioned above, Asychronous subscriptions, abd see if it fixed it?
    Do other emails work on your site like new user registration, new comment, etc. ?

I have an email address for the website via a Bluehost mailbox and I have one email forwarder from that box to my home email client.

Is this something you did recently, or was it always set up like this for 2 years.

I want double notification for the moderators and I don’t mind getting triple notification.

This might be custom development.

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

@Robkk,
    Some very good information here. I appreciate the post.

I have not done any significant WP troubleshooting since I discovered this only today when my moderators emailed me to say they weren’t getting emails. My first stop usually is the forum to see what other users might be having the same problems. Surprised me to find someone else having the same identical problem and at the exact same time. Since then I have been methodically going through the website to ensure that everything else seems to be working fine. Most important, the forum is working properly!

I keep everything up to date and I have WP set to auto update. And bbPress is also up to date.

I did not try the plugin yet because I want to check things in a certain order rather than adding another new plugin to my site and another layer of complications.

Yes, the notifications have been in place this way for quite a while. I see in my inbox that I was experimenting with it by Fall 2013 and put into place for notifying the moderators shortly after that. Since notifications are part of the default settings I would have seen them immediately and gladly used them. I wanted to avoid having a lot of email forwarders on the Bluehost server and this has worked extremely well.

I don’t allow comments on the site and so that isn’t something I can check. The specific purpose of the notifications for topics and replies is to help the moderators monitor the forum around the clock.

I have Wordfence on my website and it set to notify me of all Admin logins and other security alerts. They all stopped coming to my email on 8/5/15, another indication that something is amiss with emails, not necessarily with bbPress.

And an interesting development tonight that I am trying to sort out is that I use Gravity Forms on my website so that dog owners with very sick dogs can get Urgent Advice around the clock. The forms they fill out go out by email to all administrators as they are generated.

Tonight we got an Urgent Advice form submission and the notification did not come to my administrator address (and that means no other administrator got it) but it did come to the website email address (a Bluehost box). That also comes, as I said, to my desktop client at home. Otherwise I would have had to look in the dashboard forms to know it had been generated. This tells me that something may be wrong, not with bbPress, but with Bluehost emails. I have checked the notifications for Urgent Advice and it is still set properly to go to all administrators.

So my next step should be to check with Bluehost support to see why these many different notifications from bbPress, Gravity Forms and Wordfence that are being generated are not being sent to any administrator emails. I’ll get back here when I find out more.
    Matoca

Robkk

@robkk

Okay, then it might not be a bug in bbPress then. I do not know why I didn’t get some emails from my server, some topic notifications did go into my spam folder though, but I did not get any forum notifications. I did subscribe to a forum on this site as a fallback for testing, and I did receive the forum notifications for new topics on this site though, so it seems to work fine.

I did not try the plugin yet because I want to check things in a certain order rather than adding another new plugin to my site and another layer of complications.

The functionality of that plugin I think is going to make it into core anyway. The way that bbPress does it right now with BCC, the emails could be caught up in a spam/junk folder.

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2797?cversion=0&cnum_hist=2

So my next step should be to check with Bluehost support to see why these many different notifications from bbPress, Gravity Forms and Wordfence that are being generated are not being sent to any administrator emails. I’ll get back here when I find out more.

Okay, it makes sense to possibly be a server issue since you have issues with multiple notification emails from different plugins. WHen you get sorted with your issues with the other plugins, come back to tell me how bbPress is doing.

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

@Robkk,
    After a short support chat with Bluehost, the tech advised he ran a few basic fixes on the Bluehost side. This cleared an internal mail server cache. This apparently is not something I can do in my Bluehost account. He was very quick about this and knew exactly what to do once I described the problem. My notifications are now coming through ok.

Thank you for all the feedback and help. It never ceases to amaze me how gracious and helpful you folks can be here on bbPress.
    my best
    Matoca

Robkk

@robkk

no problem, glad you have your issue resolved.

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

I finally found the problem with this. In short, an email notification containing a topic that contained spam was sent to the administrators. This triggered Bluehost to lock down my emails and put them in a spam folder, that’s why we weren’t getting them.

It took over a week to actually get a ticket generated by a tech support person. Then Bluehost sent me a very terse email with their spam policy. I was in violation of their rules, sending out spam, and that if I did this again, I would lose my account. They unblocked my emails and they have been working again up until last week. The plugin that sends these forum notifications is called bbPress Notify.

About a week ago the notifications were being sent but the content was missing. After a lot of troubleshooting I discovered that the bbPress Notify plugin had not been attended to by the developer for a long time. I uninstalled it and installed a plugin called bbPress Notify (No Spam). It basically does the same thing but with the addition of not sending notifications of spam topics or replies.

This worked immediately. This plug is being kept up to date and the developer has a paid addon that will also allow users to discontinue the notification emails if they wish.

Problem solved.
    thank you for your help!
    Matoca

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar