Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

New to BBPRESS — need help with ad plugins please!

• i have a website (not a WP), my own domain and i’m interested in starting a forum using open sources like BB. my hosting company supplies BB’s forum as an option and i’ve already installed it. however, i don’t know how to insert ads in the forum — both google ads and others from my advertisers. i have BB version 1.0 and the only plugins that come with that are akismet, bozo users and hello louie. i don’t know where or how to start a new directory in BB to even add one for advertising and other features like theme etc. Please help if you have can…i’ll greatly appreciate it.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You should spend some time looking through the bbPress plugin directory:

https://bbpress.org/plugins/

You can also search this forum for things like “adsense” and you will find people who’ve already done what you’re looking to do.

To add a new directory, called a “forum” in bbPress, you log in as keymaster (the admin user you set up at the beginning), click the Admin link, then select “Forums” from the admin panel. That’s where you add new forums. If you want them to act like directories, tick the box that says “Category” and it will become a container to hold other forums and won’t accept posts of its own.

Spend some time playing with the software.

Making themes (a little imcomplete, but if you’ve done themeing for other CMS, WP included, you’ll pick it up in a snap).

You can just edit your theme to have ads where you want them. There are some plugins, but there aren’t widgets etc in bbPress (yet?) so you don’t have as granular control.

Thanks a lot guys.

@ Chris…i know how to add new forums etc. what i’m trying to figure out is how to add a new directory to the plugins to enable ads. i’ve downloaded a plugin and the read me file says:

“Unpack the zip to your /my-plugins/ directory”. WHERE IS THAT?

“Copy and paste this: <?php bbad_ad_block(); ?> as the first line of post.php (before <div class="threadauthor">) in whichever theme you are using. I.e. yoursite.com/forums/bb-templates/kakumei/post.php.”

i’m confused. please help.

thanks.

Got it! thanks guys!!!

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You can make a directory called my-plugins (and might as well make my-templates at the same time) and then upload them with your FTP program. Some FTP programs will allow you to create a new directory on the remote host by right clicking, as well. If you have shell access to the host, you can make directories there as well (but I suspect you don’t based on your questions.) And, 1.0 comes with those directories by default now.

In any case, glad you got it sorted. These instructions are for anyone else who might need help.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar