Search
Bottom

New to bbPress – Help on Page Theme

• cmonache
    Participant

@cmonache

Hello,

I installed bbPress for the first time.
    bbPress has displaying the proper theme on my forum home page but it is not using the page format I want.

It is using the them for my blog page listing all the recent widgets for blog content down the right hand page. Instead of want it to be a standard context page where the blog is centered on the page like it would be more my “about me” or “contact us” page.

How do I modify the theme for the home ?post_type=forum or one of my forum pages ?forum=general-forum-2

Thanks,

Chris

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• cmonache
    Participant

@cmonache

Sorry, I meant how do I modify the page layout for the home ?post_type=forum or one of my forum pages ?forum=general-forum-2

Robkk

@robkk

You need help with bbPress using a certain theme template?? Is that what you are saying??

This guide will help you (I hope), I am not entirely sure you want specifically though. I bet the information is useful to learn though.

Getting Started in Modifying the Main bbPress Template

cmonache
    Participant

@cmonache

I will check it out. Thanks.

cmonache
    Participant

@cmonache

Thanks. I took a look at this. I think I know more specifically what I want to do but I do not know how to do it.

The forum home ?post_type=forum uses page.php as does my page called “About Us.” With the “About Us” page I am able to use the editor and set an option called PageOption -> “Enable Sidebar” to Yes or No.

I have this set to No for my “About Us” page. How do I get the bbPress pages to also have this “Enable Sidebar” set to No? There is no ability to edit this menu setting like a standard WordPress page.

Thanks!

Chris

cmonache
    Participant

@cmonache

Never mind… this post helped 🙂

Remove Sidebar

Robkk

@robkk

You can try that, but it usually only affects one specific page. Doing it this way means you have to put a shortcode for every bbPress page. It is easier in the end to just create a bbpress.php file in your theme from your page.php file. You can also just tell me your theme (hopefully it is not paid) then I could just do it for you.

cmonache
    Participant

@cmonache

Hello,

Actually I did create a bbpress.php file in my theme from he page.php file.
    That is what fixed it. Still working through one more issue with the page title being different on the forum home page and the forum topics page.

Chris

Robkk

@robkk

What is the title issue exactly?? Post a link or image of the issue.

cmonache
    Participant

@cmonache

Hello,

I will try to attach some images to the response.

The main forum page: Top (Home) Forum Page is displaying correctly.

The pages below the main page are displaying the page title and a different format for the breadcrumb. I am not sure why the pages would be displaying differently as they are both using the new bbpress.php.

Here is the other page: Page 2

Side note: not sure why the topics under the Forum are not displaying correctly.

Robkk

@robkk

It looks like it is inheriting different templates for the forum archive and the single forums. From the looks of it the second image looks correct to me. It is displaying the title, but you have leftover post data from your theme like the extra breadcrumbs.

If you did create a bbpress.php rename it to something like bbpressa.php so that it won’t load anymore.

Now if you have what the file still installed, go to the forum archive or /?post_type=forum and see if the page template is different from what the General Forum page has.

The reason why I am saying do this, is to see if bbPress could be inheriting two different templates. It would make sense if the Forum archive would use page.php or even archive.php, and in some cases the single forum pages could be inheriting single.php.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar