Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Need Read Hidden capability to see Private Forums?

• majecdad
    Participant

@majecdad

I’m relatively new to bbpress, but have read as much as possible so to not look stupid. 🙂

I’m wondering if this is expected behavior.

I have a (private) Category with (private) Forums which is set as a Group Forum in conjunction with BuddyPress.

Users who have the capabilities to Read Private Forums/Topics/Replies can NOT see any of the Topics or Replies in any of the Private forums, UNLESS I either: a) add the ‘Read Hidden’ capability, or b) change the forum to be ‘Public.’

Neither of those are strategies I’d want to employ.

I also use the PMPro plugin and their bbpress addon, which I *could* use to allow the Forums to be ‘Public’, but locked down to non-Members, but I’m not sure if that’s the best route either?

Am I missing something on how best to have Private Forums under a Category in bbpress?

Appreciate any guidance or pointing me in a direction to resolve.

Thanks.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• majecdad
    Participant

@majecdad

Hi all,

I’ve continued to test this with both the capabilities plugin from @johnjamesjacoby as well as some nice custom code to create an entire new bbp role from @robin-w … to no avail. In neither case can I get a bbp user to see private posts unless they can see hidden ones too (or if I make the forum ‘public’).

Might this be related to my usage of ‘sub-forums’?

I’m working hard to try different things to figure it out. Can anyone point me in a direction that might resolve?

Thanks.

Robkk

@robkk

hmm not sure on this.

i will test it out though and see if i find anything.

contact the BuddyPress support and see if they know anything i dont know since you have Groups too.

https://buddypress.org/support/

majecdad
    Participant

@majecdad

Hey @robkk all of the BP Groups are set to Private, and each Private BP Group has the Group Forum set as the corresponding Main bbpress Forum page (which is set as Forum/Closed/Private) and the subforums (which are set as Forum/Open/Private).

I’ll check in over there too, but the issue seems related to the ability to see forums, not so much the Groups.

Thx.

Robkk

@robkk

yeah i probably have to report a bug about this , at least 4 other users have said the same thing.

Robkk

@robkk

there is a bug reported for BuddyPress Groups here that is being looked onto.

you can see the trac ticket here

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2782

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar