Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

need help with strange sticky behaviour

• andrew55
    Participant

@andrew55

I did an import from phpBB a while back.

Now, I notice the topics marked as sticky do appear at top of topic list view. But I am noticing that some of the stickies also appear several pages into the topic list view (according to the date they were published). So there is one at the top, and one in the location according to it’s date (two of the same topic).

I used the forum tools in an attempt to repair an sync issues, with no luck.

It’s strange, because it only happens with some of the stickies.

Any suggestions on how I can get only the one sticky to appear at top of forum list? Thanks for any help.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

If you have a sticky topic for a specific forum when you go to the specific forum you will see the sticky topic at the top.

when you create a super sticky topic the topic with show on all forums.

when you go to the forum archive and have it show topics by fresheness it i think it shows all topics by freshness sticky or not.

if that doesnt help you , link to the weird sticky topic so i can check on the issue.

andrew55
    Participant

@andrew55

Thanks for the reply. I don’t “think” this a archive scenario, unless I am misunderstanding how archives work.

Here is one of the topics in question (it’s a sticky, not a super sticky):
    https://www.lifeleap.org/newcommunitysite/forums/topic/read-before-asking-any-psychic-questions-in-a-post/

The topic is a sticky here:
    siteurl/newcommunitysite/forums/forum/lifeleap-cafe/free-psychic-questions/

But it also shows up here:
    siteurl/newcommunitysite/forums/forum/lifeleap-cafe/free-psychic-questions/page/2/

(I tried to post all links, but bbpress wouldn’t let me)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Robkk

@robkk

ok i get what you are saying now.

sticky topics show up sticky on the top on the first page, a page after that the sticky topic is shown like any other topic

for example on here

you will see the sticky topic titled “before posting” on the top of the 1st page and like any other topic on the 5th page

Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting

so its all good.

andrew55
    Participant

@andrew55

Robkk – thanks for the clarification. I’m getting a better grip now on how bbPress is set up. Although, in another forum I am working on, sometimes the stickies show up twice, but sometimes they don’t?

Question: So if stickies do show up twice normally, is there are method to get them to only show at beginning of topic (top of page)?

In the “list of topics” view, if it doesn’t have many topics and there is a sticky, the user will see the same topic twice on the same page (once at the top in the sticky area, and again below in the topic list area. Is there a method to prevent this redundancy. It’s not a huge deal, but it seems to me it will improve user experience.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Robkk

@robkk

is there are method to get them to only show at beginning of topic (top of page)?

Probably , ill check it out in a minute.

There might be an easy CSS fix , and a difficult ( for me ) PHP fix.

if i cant find a way , just stick with how it is.

andrew55
    Participant

@andrew55

Thanks for checking it out. I think it would be less confusing for users if topic doesn’t show twice.

Robkk

@robkk

@andrew55

sorry i could not find a good solution to your issue.

I could not find a good CSS solution to hide it
    and i just dont know enough PHP

andrew55
    Participant

@andrew55

Hey – thanks for at least looking into it. If that’s the worst limitation of bbPress, I have no complaints!

I was just asking here because I thought there might be a simple solution. I guess I could hire a coder and post the fix back here.

Robkk

@robkk

@andrew55

You could hire a coder at any freelance website like http://jobs.wordpress.net/

But yeah like you said its not a huge issue.

andrew55
    Participant

@andrew55

Thanks for the tip!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar