Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Need help formatting my forums to display differently

• Skisma
    Participant

@skisma

Hi, I just got my website installed yesterday and am in the process of setting up my forums. The issue I’ve ran into is that the sub-forums are not displaying the way I want them to. Currently they are displaying as a list separated by commas, however, I would like them to each have their own row and be listed similarly to bullet points (just without actual bullet points). I’ll provide a link to my forums here:http://forgehaven.com/forums/

Additionally, it would really awesome if where it says “Forum” in the grey row, I could change it to say Level Design. Then remove the Level Design forum below (since it’s really just a category) and just list the 4 sub-forums as a bullet list.

A great example of how I want it is this forum: http://teambeyond.net/forum/

I’m new to this so hopefully what I’m requesting makes sense. Please let me know if you need further information. Also, I’m not sure it this is in the correct forum, but it seems to make the most sense.

Thanks,

Skisma

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

download the .zip then copy the file loop-forums.php into a folder that should be in your child theme called bbpress

https://github.com/robkk/bbPress-Hierarchical-Forum-and-Category-Layout

Skisma
    Participant

@skisma

@robkk Thank you for that file! Now where do I paste it? I’m pretty sure I need to access my cPanel and then navigate to my file manager, correct? I’ve tried looking through my folders there last night and didn’t see anything regarding bbpress.

jmodine
    Participant

@jmodine

The easiest way is to do a custom CSS. make a child theme first i recomend this plug in “Child theme configuration” Down load the zip file once you chose your settgings. upload the child theme through dashboard> appearance > theme > add new then use a text editor and make a style.css for your theme (bbpress will be overridden with it) I use eclipse for a text editor but notepad will work in the style css add this code
    (this came directly from my site so it has a few changes you can change anything you like on it for more customization) you can see my forums lay out here

#bbpress-forums .bbp-forums-list li {
    display: none !important;
    min-height: 50px;
    font-size: 18px;
    border: 3px solid black;
    border-top: 8px solid #871A1A;
    boder-bottom-left-radius:5px;
    boder-bottom-right-radius:5px;
    boder-top-left-radius:5px;
    boder-top-right-radius:5px;
    -moz-border-radius: 5px;
    -webkit-border-radius: 5px;
    margin-top: 10px;
    margin-bottom: 10px;
    }

.bbp-forum-title{
       display: block !important;
       font-size: 22px;
       font-weight: bold;
    	border-top: 15px solid blue;
    	boder-top-left-radius:5px;
    	boder-top-right-radius:5px;
    	-moz-border-radius: 5px;
    	-webkit-border-radius: 5px;
    	margin-top: 10px;
    	margin-bottom: 10px;
    }

.bbp-topic-title {
    	 font-size: 16px !important;
    }

Like I said any of these values are changeable and you can add more or take some out. hope this helps.

Robkk

@robkk

@skisma

you create a folder named bbpress in the root of your theme and put the file there.

heres more info https://codex.bbpress.org/theme-compatibility/

first create a new forum but change the type to category.

for each new forum you want in the category , make sure the forums parent is that category.

to reorder the forums change the id

I’m pretty sure I need to access my cPanel and then navigate to my file manager, correct?

well you can do that or FTP , whatever you are comfortable with i guess.

Skisma
    Participant

@skisma

Thank you guys for helping me out with this! I set up the bbpress folder within my theme and added the file to it, it worked like a charm!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar