Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Moving a reply to a new topic

• Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I am trying to move a reply into a new topic. Ideally I would be able to move it to a different forum board altogether but for now I am just trying to move the reply out into a new thread.

When I hit move I get this error:

A variable mismatch has been detected.

I am using 2.6.1

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)

• cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I am trying the same thing and I cannot even see other topics in the drop down list.

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Is that even possible?
    I am trying in the front end and also in the backend, but cannot see a way to move a reply to a different topic when someone posts in the wrong place.

iamthewebb
    Participant

@iamthewebb

I’ve just been testing this on my sites and I can’t get it to fail. Are there any more details in the server error log, do you have any custom code or bbpress plugins installed?
    Also does debugging show any additional info?

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

It is not a matter of failing, but the drop-down list of where a reply can be moved will only include the topics in the same forum, so …
    – if someone replies to a thread by something that should be its own topic, I cannot see a way
    – if someone starts a topic in the wrong forum, I cannot see a way to move it to a different forum

Do you go through that route or a different way?

snorklebum
    Participant

@snorklebum

If someone starts a thread you should be able to use Edit and then select the correct place. If it is a reply you should be able to select move to move it to another thread or alternatively move it so that it creates a new thread, you could then Edit this to move it to a completely different forum?

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

Thanks. But as I have specifically stated in my question I am looking for ability to move a reply out into a new topic. Not moving a new thread to a different forum. The current system does not allow for this.

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Chuckie, I would also like to do that, and I have not found a way either.

Robin W

@robin-w

so have you guys tried ‘split’ in the front end – this should let you split the reply to a new topic on the same forum. Once that is done you can move it to another forum on the backend

snorklebum
    Participant

@snorklebum

So on all replies I have options to edit, move, split, etc. Do you currently see these? What happens when you click move?

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I see the option to split, yes. But once i click on Split, I have two options:

1- New topic in [existing forum] titled: This forces me to use the same forum. No way to change to a different one.

2- Use an existing topic in this forum: And it has the drop-down list of the topics in this same forum. Again, this won’t allow me to move that split into a different forum

Shouldn’t that all be done in the same place?

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

Even if I split a reply into a new topic in the active forum, on clicking to perform the action it fails and shows an error:

“A variable mismatch has been detected.”

In short – it doesn’t work anyway – even if I don’t want to split it to a different forum.

Robin W

@robin-w

@ajtruckle – that looks site specific, or maybe even that topic.

Robin W

@robin-w

@cassel – maybe ideally – but only so much you can expect for free! you can move it after splitting

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

@robin-w > that looks site specific, or maybe even that topic.

I have no idea why it would be site specific. But I take your word for it. The bottom line is I can’t split topics and I don’t know how to resolve that issue. I just assumed it was a 2.6 bug but you are indicating that it was be a website bug.

To resolve this by myself is beyond me. But it simply doesn’t work.

> maybe ideally – but only so much you can expect for free! you can move it after splitting

This is true. The thing is though that maybe a reply needs to be extracted into a topic of its own rather than the whole discussion split. But that is entirely another concept.

For me, I simply can’t split topics and don’t knwo what steps to take to attempt at resolving the error I raised (which is not linked to just that topic as I have tried several).

puranjay1
    Participant

@puranjay1

Hello,

For all the replies could we able to get a notification if any user replies under any topic made?

Robin W

@robin-w

@ajtruckle split works fine on my test sites for 2.5.x and 2.6.x, hence why I am suggesting site for database issue for your site.

Robin W

@robin-w

I just googled ‘A variable mismatch has been detected’ (googling an error is always a good start)

and got this as a thread

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/a-variable-mismatch-has-been-detected-6/

which suggests might be worth you looking at php versions

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

My php is 7.3.15. Latest stable.

Robin W

@robin-w

do you have the full error message?

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

All I get is this in a white page:

A variable mismatch has been detected.

Robin W

@robin-w

do you know how to turn debug in ?

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

In WordPress? Yes, my domain provider has previously given me guidance on that. I try that if it is what you mean?

Robin W

@robin-w

yes please, it should give us the full error

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

When I am back home I will try.

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I switched it on but it seems to make no difference to information displayed.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar