Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Move Sticky Topic to Original Date?

• Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

I am trying to clean up the forum a bit. I have a super sticky topic of “Welcome, Blah Blah” It’s now over a year old and I want it to move down in the original time slot of January 2014.

I went into the dashboard to edit the topic, unstickied it, set it to “closed” and then saved it. It is no longer sticky but instead of moving down around the other topics in Jan 2014, it has remained at the top of the current topics as though I updated it. Well, I did kind of update it, but there are no new replies and I didn’t change the topic at all. The posting date still indicates Jan ’14.

I really don’t want to trash it or all the replies, they have historical importance, but I am confused how to make this move! I am used to being able to change the publish dates of pages and posts but the forum doesn’t seem to have the same ability.
    Thank you for any help you can provide,
    Matoca

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

the topic should move to when the last post was published. Did the sticky topic move correctly like that?

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

Robkk,
    No it didn’t do move to the last date, when I un-stickied it and saved it, it moved right to the most recent topic. Fortunately it is slowly making it’s way out of sight considering all the new topics and replies we have. I sure would like it to stack at the date of the last reply (which was over a year ago) but not sure how to force it to do that. I have one more super sticky topic I would like to move down also, but I am waiting to see if anyone here knows how to accomplish this.
    Thank you
    Matoca

Robkk

@robkk

Try some repair tools, do them one at a time, in Tools > Forums.

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

I used the repair tools, one at a time and it didn’t resolve the issue. But the good thing is that this topic has dropped down due to the large traffic on the forum.

I guess the take-away is to be very careful when assigning super sticky to topics. This was a Welcome To Our New Forum topic, so I wanted it sticky at the time, now I realize that I don’t want it forever.

What topic settings does the bbPress main forum use to keep super sticky CLOSED topics (posting rules etc) at the top of the main forum?
    my best
    matoca

Robkk

@robkk

Hmm, the repair tools should have fixed it. There is even a repair tool named

Recalculate the sticky relationship of each topic

There is not really a setting for sticky topics, it is basically a post status similar to sticky posts in WordPress. The query for topics just displays sticky posts first then the rest of the topics after that.

Did you sort the topics differently by using a code snippet from this website, like sort topics by date or something different??

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar