Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Migrating medium-sized Forum from vBulletin 4.2 – Recommendations?

• scorpnetwork
    Participant

@scorpnetwork

Hello BBPress Community,

I am running a medium-sized vBulletin 4.2 Forum, which I want to migrate to BBPress for various Reasons.

The vBulletin Forum currently has 46k Topics with 490k Posts and 7k registered Users.

I am using the BBPress Built-in Importer to migrate my Forum, but I cant get it to work. The Importer runs smoothly until it gets to “Converting Replies”. It then just gets stuck somewhere in the middle of processing replies… I just see the rotating loading Symbol. At my last try to get this done, it already got stuck at “Converting Replies 0-99” …..
    I know that I can press Stop and Start, but I have the feeling that this messes Things up… Take a look at my log:
    ———————–
    Converting replies (200 – 249)
    Starting Conversion
    Converting replies (0 – 99)
    ———————–

The Script was converting Replies 0 – 99 when it got “stuck”. I pressed Stop and lowered the amount to 50, since I thought maybe 100 is too much? I pressed Start again, and it jumped to “200-249” … So where are replies 100-200 ???

Are there any other ways to migrate my Forum? Maybe a shell Script or php Script that is made to get run via shell, to prevent timeouts etc.?

Thanks for any help on this!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• scorpnetwork
    Participant

@scorpnetwork

UPDATE (since I cant find the edit button haha)

The site runs on a dedicated Server which should have enough power to handle the import process easily, since nothing else is running on this server.

Kind Regards

Excandesco
    Participant

@excandesco

Did the converter keep the user passwords ?
    I’m stuggling with a medium Xenforo forum and it seems that no password was kept šŸ™

The Importer runs smoothly until it gets to ā€œConverting Repliesā€. It then just gets stuck somewhere in the middle of processing repliesā€¦ I just see the rotating loading Symbol. At my last try to get this done, it already got stuck at ā€œConverting Replies 0-99ā€ ā€¦..

This is an awful error and wish I could replicate it so it can be fixed, sadly haven’t been able to achieve this yet. Its usually caused by character encoding in the database, more can be found on this issue in the codex here:
    ā€¢ https://codex.bbpress.org/getting-started/importing-data/import-forums/import-troubleshooting/

So where are replies 100-200 ???

The importer will, rather should continue on from where it left of when you stop then start it again, the way it currently works is it stores the current value and reads that when you start it again, I’ll take a closer look at the code to see if thats not doing what it is supposed to be doing.

You should also use the ā€œdevelopment versionā€ aka bbPress 2.6 alpha, theres some new import improvements, you can get this from the following page or direct link:
    ā€¢ https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress/developers/
    ā€¢ https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/bbpress.zip

@excandesco The Xenforo import does NOT convert passwords

(I think its only bbPress 1.x, SMF, phpBB and vBulletin that convert passwords at this stage)

scorpnetwork
    Participant

@scorpnetwork

Hi there!

Big thanks for the Reply, almost forgot about this thread since it took a while for you guys to reply (no hate!) šŸ™‚

I will try it out and will let you know the results!

Thanks

scorpnetwork
    Participant

@scorpnetwork

Hi!

Late, but here is my promised Feedback.

The Forum is just too big to get this going. I am paying a Coder not to get a custom Script for this.

Cant wait to finally switch to BBpress…

Thanks for the help tho!

Not happy to see you needed to pay, but happy to see you’re eager to switch šŸ™‚
    Pascal.

Vitor Madeira
    Participant

@vitormadeira

@scorpnetwork, I too am planning on converting a vbulletin 3.8 forum into bbPress, so I’m looking for the most information that I can get to help me on doing the best moves.

Are you using bbPress right now? Did the migration went well?

Thank you.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar