Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Merging forums

• ovbg
    Participant

@ovbg

Hello, I have set my forum up with four different forums, but I want to strip this down to two, so effectively merging three forums into one.

How can I do this?

Is it better to rename one forum, then move everything from the other two forums into the first?

Or, should I somehow merge all three into one?

Or, create a new forum and move everything from the old three into it?

In any case, how will this affect posters subscriptions? Will they still have direct access to the forums once moved if people add to a topic?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

well I don’t think you can merge forums by default in bbPress.

Hello, I have set my forum up with four different forums, but I want to strip this down to two, so effectively merging three forums into one.

How can I do this?

I think there is a plugin to export all the topics and replies of a forum and then you can import the that data into another forum.

I think there is also a different way to do this, some other guy did this with some other plugin. I might have to look that up and see the plugin he used.

Is it better to rename one forum, then move everything from the other two forums into the first?

Or, should I somehow merge all three into one?

I don’t think it matters really?? It might be best just to move all the data in a new forum though.

In any case, how will this affect posters subscriptions? Will they still have direct access to the forums once moved if people add to a topic?

This is a great question about the subscriptions, this will need some testing. I think they can have direct access to the topic once it is moved.

ovbg
    Participant

@ovbg

Thanks for your reply. I think I would just need to create a new forum, and move everything from three of the others to it.

But can anyone recommend a good plugin. I have googled and the ones I have found have people highly recommending that they are not used as they haven’t been updated in a while and have major conflicts.

Robkk

@robkk

@ovbg

I think the safest option right now would be to create a parent forum for the three forums you want to group together. The topics will not be in a single forum, but you are technically grouping them together not merging into one. Grouping might not cause any issues with subscriptions and also the only solid recommendation I can think of right now that I know for sure will not cause any other issues. I will keep this topic in mind if I do find a legit way to merge forums in the next week though.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar