Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Manually importing from another BB

• RChadwick
    Participant

@rchadwick

I have an OLD Yabb board, that uses a flat file storage. I have given up importing it into bbpress, or anything else for that matter, in any automated way. Fortunately, the BB only has about 40 messages, so I was thinking of just importing them manually. Can I easily change the dates and authors of messages on bbpress?

Also, it’s important to me to keep these messages. Long story, but starting over isn’t an option.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I did a flat file, details below that might help you

Documented import from snitz access database

RChadwick
    Participant

@rchadwick

I appreciate the response. It looks like your method might hold some promise, but I suspect in the end it would be easier and quicker to do it manually. Also, I’d be 99% confident of the outcome if done manually 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so then to answer your orig question – “Can I easily change the dates and authors of messages on bbpress?” for 40, yes IF you have access to phpmyadmin and are comfortable in doing a few simple (and safe) edits within it.

If that sounds ok, come back and I’ll tell you what you need to change

Robin W

@robin-w

Actually just looked, yes you can do this within the backend by a simple edit

so you’d create the topic first (dashboard>topics>new topic) with your username, and copy/paste the text in.

Then go into dashboard>topics>all topics. Select the topic you created above, and you can change the author ID and date in there. For author, you’ll need to have set up your users first.

To find a userid from name, just go into

Dashboard>users>all users

Hover over the edit button of the user concerned, and you’ll see

http://www.mysite.com/…./user_id=112

RChadwick
    Participant

@rchadwick

Thanks!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar