Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Layout in progress

• peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Hi again, I have been working on my theme for a long time now, here are a few images of where I am with my forum and topic lists, as well as the individual topics/posts and the integrated “like” system.

The forum-list loop
    Forum list

The topic-list loop
    Topic-list

The forums on profile pages
    Profile forums

A lot of plugins used to get all functionality, but starting to look like a nice forum to me.

I hope to be able to post some updates soon.
    Peter Hamilton

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• –Q–Shadows
    Participant

@-q-shadows

Really like your styling pal.

If you dont mind, can you list the plugins u used ? Would really appreciate that.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Hi Q-Shadows

It is quite a list of plugins, some hardcoded into my child theme, others just as plugins.

Plugins Installed

BBpress
    Rewrote most of the template files

Buddypress
    Version 2.1.1, tried updating yesterday but broke my site so have to rewrite my plugins before updating

BBpress Like Button
    Likes for forums

BP Profile Widgets
    To show a music or video player on members profile

Buddypress Activity Plus

Buddypress Like
    For activity likes

BuddyPress Activity Stream Bump to Top
    Liked and commented activity goes to top of list

Buddypress Upload Avatar Ajax
    To allow avatar upoad during registration

Front-End Publishing
    So members can write blogs without multisite activated

GD bbPress Attachments
    For forum image uploads

BP Profile as Homepage
    All links to a user links to profile page instead of user activity

Post rating

WanGuard

And I have a few plugins hardcoded into my child theme, not sure about the names

BuddyPress Group Customizer Lite
    For group backgrounds

User Signature
    For a signature on forum posts

Easy View count
    displays views count on single-topic-list

BP custom background for user profiles
    Or something like that to recreate the facebook/twitter function

And I added a lot more functions that I found through other members on these forums that have been added to my Functions.php etc.
    Theme had had a lot of alterations since my last visit and is almost finished, have a look.

Onlijn.com

Peter Hamilton

Kolya Korobochkin
    Participant

@korobochkin

In my opinion your templates have to many extra details. Checkout my super tiny and cleanest bbPress forum http://selenaselena.ru/community/talks/

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Yes yours is tiny but clean (too clean for me personally), but I am trying to achieve a much more complicated website then that.

I am trying to recreate Facebooks functions and add extra functionalities like blogging, forums and detailed profiles for users to name a few

Kolya Korobochkin
    Participant

@korobochkin

Yep. I see facebook’s design here. But facebook’s interface is not example of good interface (don’t forget this) 🙂

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

I agree with you there, and I am hoping to improve where they failed

in the mean time, a shot of the BBPress forum index

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Article published with Front-End-Publishing

onlijn.com, bbfacelook

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Front End Publishing @Onlijn.com

Onlijn.com member articles

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Article Archive @Onlijn.com

onlijn.com | BBFacelook theme

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Landing page for non-logged in or new visitors

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Finished theme will come in few colorschemes, this is me just playing around a bit before going to bed

onlijn.com dark theme

Robkk

@robkk

@peter-hamilton

this looks a lot better from the last time i saw it ..i think a couple of months ago??

there is still a lot of awkward design around your site though but this time you really have to look for it.

there is a page on your site that look really bad and it is onlijn.com/forums/

i see you have onlijn.com/onlijn-forums/ which is how it should be.

the profile page custom background that you used the bp custom background for user profile plugin i did find a filter to allow it to show it like you did, but this plugin wasnt intended for that kind of layout and it kind of makes the background layout radio buttons kind of useless.

But there is a new plugin that does this exactly now which is here https://wordpress.org/plugins/bp-cover/ and it has ajax upload which is a little better.

Another thing that is kind of weird is that on any users profile in there info there is random links that link to the members page.

The user profile menu doesn’t look as good as it is when your site is at a smaller resolution , and plus it wastes a bunch of space on the left.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Hi Robkk, thanks for having a look again.

I agree with the profile nav and am changing that next, have just downloaded the plugin you mentioned and will have a look at it, looks a lot bigger then the code I am using…but has a lot more functions I like to include like sharing those backgrounds on activity etc, will use it tomorrow.

I also removed all Epicweb stuff so the forums page looks normal again, I was long focused on creating the right category/forum list, but ended up using a page with shortcodes in the end, so that code was just clutter anyway, so thanks again.

Peter Hamilton

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Hi again, so I worked on the points @robkk brought up, and I am happy to say that it does look a lot better already, so thanks guys.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar