Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Is it possible to use a different theme for bbpress?

• A.I. Sajib
    Participant

@aisajib

I intend to use a premium theme for the Blog section of my site while I want the bbpress forum in /discuss slug to have a basic theme (preferably Twenty Twelve, as the default themes are best compatible with bbpress). Is that possible by any hacks or plugins?

I guess I could install a different installation (standalone bbpress or as a plugin) in a /discuss directory but I’m afraid at one point the permalinks to the two different sites may be too complicated to handle. Simply put, I don’t like the idea. So I’m hoping this is possible for bbpress [installed as a plugin on the main site] to have a theme of its own other than the one being used on the site.

Please let me know if it’s possible or if there’s any workaround to do what I want.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You use WordPress themes for the bbPress 2.x plugin.

You can customize the bbPress templates for your theme by modifying them yourself, bbPress also includes full support for custom themes though there are very few of these.

I’d suggest finding a WordPress theme that suits your needs and then tweak the CSS for the bbPress section of your site.

A.I. Sajib
    Participant

@aisajib

I guess that’s my last resort. Unfortunately, most of the gorgeously-designed themes suited for the topic of my site seems to be incompatible with bbpress. I want bbpress to be there, apparently for this I have to sacrifice the chance of using a good theme. 🙁

By the way, if I wanted to tweak the CSS for bbpress section of the site, which file would I modify without affecting the theme on the site’s main section?

Have you tried bbPress with your preferred theme?

Give it a try, bbPress will work with most themes “out of the box”.

If you want to start customizing your theme check out the docs

Codex

A.I. Sajib
    Participant

@aisajib

I did actually. I tested on Tracks WordPress theme which happens to be free yet awesome theme. But on the forum topic page, for mysterious reasons, only the first post from the topic is visible. Posts from second and onwards don’t show up at all. A programmer would probably fix this in a moment but I’m not really a coder, so I’m looking for something else.

Thanks for your help.

A quick look at the “Track’ theme, it looks like if you copy archive.php to bbpress.php that will resolve most of your issues. (Source: archive.php)

After you have done the above remove the following line from your bbpress.php copy:
    get_template_part('content');

A.I. Sajib
    Participant

@aisajib

You mean replace bbpress.php file content with the archive.php content and then remove that line of code?

I will try that and will let you know if that fixes the issue. Thank you for your help!

Oh! Looks like my bad, replace get_template_part('content'); with <?php the_content(); ?> 😉

A.I. Sajib
    Participant

@aisajib

He he no problem. 😉 I’ll let you know.

Your using the same theme as trhe following topic, I have asked the theme author to come by with some tips so subscribe to this topic also if there are any updates:

Profile page doesn't show

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar