Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Is bbPress going to merge with BuddyPress?

• josh16
    Participant

@josh16

Or is it going to stay a separate project and hopefully improve? I was just wondering because I’m planning on switching to BuddyPress since it already has most of the same characteristics as bbPress, almost like it’s built-in.

And will the bbPress project continue and hopefully gain more attention from the Automattic folks soon?

Also, is there a way of converting bbPress to BuddyPress?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

From what I understand, bbPress is basically already included in BuddyPress.

From here: https://bbpress.org/blog/2009/12/2009-12-09-meetup/

[13:55] <jjj> junsuijin is right again. Frankly apeatling has already made bbPress a plugin, it’s just part of BuddyPress that includes all of the extra social things that forums have; profiles, pms, friends, etc…

[13:56] <apeatling> If the integration code is extracted from BuddyPress and moved into bbPress then we could get it integrating with one click tomorrow.

[13:56] <apeatling> it’s not a lot of code

So maybe it’s not really truly inside BuddyPress already, but parts of it are. I don’t use BuddyPress so I can’t comment first hand, just repeat what I’ve seen elsewhere.

r-a-y
    Participant

@r-a-y

Chris is right; bbPress is included in BuddyPress already, although there are some limitations:

– most, if not all, bbPress plugins need to be ported over to BuddyPress

– there’s no bbPress backend in BuddyPress

Also, is there a way of converting bbPress to BuddyPress?

Basically, you’ll need to create groups in BuddyPress and then determine which bbPress posts fit which groups.

Read what CUNY Commons did – http://dev.commons.gc.cuny.edu/2009/12/06/upgrading-from-buddypress-1-0-to-1-1/. Specifically the “Dealing with bbPress forums” section.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar